Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ConstantChange <we...@c-change.eu> on 2007/08/13 14:36:09 UTC

Absolutely NO persistence please

Hi!

(I really tried to figure this out by finding other threads and reading
documentation, but unfortunately I did not get further hat way.)

We use ActiveMQ to create concurrent tasks doing some stuff in a parallel
manner for performance reasons. Now, in our case we dont need ANY
persistence whatsoever. Messages by avg. will live for around 3-10 seconds,
and if they take longer they are not needed anymore.

Now, the obvious thing to do is turning persistence off with the
"persistence=false" attribute in the broker. But this does not prevent
ActiveMQ from starting up the Derby Journal thing. Why is that? In all the
other threads seemingly related to this the people either wanted only
journaling or only jdbc persistence, but I dont want any of those!! How can
I archieve that?

(Or is the journal not an optional thing because its used as kind of cache
so the memory does not overflow?)

Thanks very very much!
Cheers,
CC

Re: Absolutely NO persistence please

Posted by ConstantChange <we...@c-change.eu>.
Amazing!

That did the job. Thanks!
Just so you know that I am not an idiot, please spare one more minute and
look at my configuration (i used this new aproach, embedding non-spring xml
into spring (as suggested by apache.activemq):

>From my point of view, this should actually do exactly what your config
does:

<amq:broker persistent="false"
  			  brokerName="daBroker"
  			  deleteAllMessagesOnStartup="true"
  			  id="broker" >

   	<amq:managementContext>
	   <amq:managementContext createConnector="false"/>
	</amq:managementContext>

    <amq:memoryManager>
      <amq:usageManager id="memory-manager" limit="50"/>
    </amq:memoryManager>
</amq:broker>

Now why tf did that not work?

Anyway, thanks a lot!!

Cheers,
Werner

Posted by ConstantChange <we...@c-change.eu>.
Thanks! I will try that!

I think it is the journal, i found this sub directory:
/activemq-data/localhost/journal
and it has 3 .dat files in it..

Thanks again,
CC