Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2012/05/23 16:00:48 UTC

[CVE-2012-2098] Apache Commons Compress and Apache Ant denial of service vulnerability

CVE-2012-2098: Apache Commons Compress and Apache Ant denial of service
               vulnerability

Severity: Low

Vendor:
The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected:
Apache Commons Compress 1.0 to 1.4
Apache Ant 1.5 to 1.8.3

The bzip2 compressing streams in Apache Commons Compress and Apache Ant
internally use sorting algorithms with unacceptable worst-case
performance on very repetitive inputs.  A specially crafted input to
Compress' BZip2CompressorOutputStream or Ant's <bzip2> task can be used
to make the process spend a very long time while using up all available
processing time effectively leading to a denial of service.

Mitigation:
Commons Compress users should upgrade to 1.4.1
Ant users should upgrade to 1.8.4

Credit:
This issue was discovered by David Jorm of the Red Hat Security Response
Team.

http://ant.apache.org/security.html

Stefan Bodewig

Re: Fwd: [CVE-2012-2098] Apache Commons Compress and Apache Ant denial of service vulnerability

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
And which ofbiz versions use commons/bzip2?  Might have to check
catalina, jetty, etc.

Re: [CVE-2012-2098] Apache Commons Compress and Apache Ant denial of service vulnerability

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I did the upgrade in rev. 1342326; tests pass and the system seems to work properly (but I did a cursory review of applications).
Please let me know if you see/experience any issues and I will fix them.

Regards,

Jacopo

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Yeah