Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org> on 2021/02/17 22:20:16 UTC

ZkTestServer Watch limit violations

I've noticed that it's quite common for a SolrCloud based test to conclude
with warnings about "Watch limit violations".  I don't know how to
interpret these violations; it's normal to get them. Can someone offer
insights as to what this matter is about and what we ought to do about it?

63605 WARN  (ZkTestServer Run Thread) [     ] o.a.s.c.ZkTestServer Watch
limit violations:
Maximum concurrent create/delete watches above limit:

4 /solr/aliases.json
4 /solr/clusterprops.json
3 /solr/packages.json
3 /solr/security.json
2 /solr/collections/ping_test/terms/shard2
2 /solr/collections/ping_test/terms/shard1
2 /solr/configs/conf

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: ZkTestServer Watch limit violations

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Oh yeah, you will also have clients, such as the cloud client from the test
mini cluster also legitetmatly creating parallel watches on the same znodes
as Solr instance. Point being, even if it decremented, it would still be
reporting violations that did not make sense.

- Mark

--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: ZkTestServer Watch limit violations

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>>> years ago but I suspect Ram was hoping to warn devs when they were
>>> using ZK inefficiently? I'd have to do some debugging / deeper
>>> investigation to see if these reports are actually still useful for
>>> the current test suite. On the surface, it seems like everyone just
>>> ignores them anyway (I certainly do) so maybe the noise in the test
>>> suite outweighs their usefulness?

>>> watch limit violation checker in
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-6370 ?
>>> some info at the end.  Even simple ones like
>>> >
>>> org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CloudSolrClientTest#queryWithLocalShardsPreferenceRulesTest

>>> limit violations:

>>> conclude with warnings about "Watch limit violations".  I don't know how to
>>> interpret these violations; it's normal to get them. Can someone offer
>>> insights as to what this matter is about and what we ought to do about it?

- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: ZkTestServer Watch limit violations

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: ZkTestServer Watch limit violations

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.