Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp> on 2008/04/06 20:28:25 UTC

restrictions on distributed search

Hello,

We want to use distributed search (SOLR-303) for our project.
Before using it, we'd like to know the restrictions.
The following restrictions (features) are those we are understanding.

- document must have a unique key
- when duplicate id docs received, solr chooses first doc and
discards second and later
- no distributed idf
- doesn't support QueryElevationComponent
- doesn't support consistency between stages
e.g. a shard index can be changed between
STAGE_EXECUTE_QUERY and STAGE_GET_FIELDS

Is our understanding correct?
And if there are other restrictions/features, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Koji

Re: restrictions on distributed search

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:55 PM, swarag <Sw...@citysearch.com> wrote:
>  So does it mean that Solr doesnt support QueryElevation (boost values)
>  wouldnt work on a distributed search?

Just to be clear, boost values in a query work fine.  Query elevation
is a specific component:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/QueryElevationComponent

And it actually might work OK since it just uses a custom sort on the
shards, and there should be no special merging code needed (provided
sorting by custom sorts works OK).  I've just never tried it to
verify.  Has anyone else?

-Yonik

Re: restrictions on distributed search

Posted by swarag <Sw...@citysearch.com>.