Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Alexander Shapiro (ashapiro)" <Al...@amdocs.com.INVALID> on 2023/10/22 12:36:08 UTC

Mirror Maker 2 - offset sync from source to target

Hi
Can someone advise please
if sync.group.offsets.enabled : true to sync offset from source to target for particular consumer group
That group must be created on target, even if no actual consumption will be done ?

This email and the information contained herein is proprietary and confidential and subject to the Amdocs Email Terms of Service, which you may review at https://www.amdocs.com/about/email-terms-of-service <https://www.amdocs.com/about/email-terms-of-service>

Re: Mirror Maker 2 - offset sync from source to target

Posted by Greg Harris <gr...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Alexander,

Looking at the MM2 documentation
https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#georeplication it appears that
there's no "summary" of the auto-sync functionality, only the
documentation strings for the individual configurations.
Point (5) above is not covered in the public documentation, and you
would need to read the KIP:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-545%3A+support+automated+consumer+offset+sync+across+clusters+in+MM+2.0
to learn about it.
Point (6) above is also not covered in the public documentation, but
has always been a hidden limitation of MirrorMaker2 for a long time
that has recently become more apparent. We still have some work to do
in order to make MirrorMaker2 more resilient to restarts.

Thanks!
Greg

Posted by "Alexander Shapiro (ashapiro)" <Al...@amdocs.com.INVALID>.
Not a problem Greg.