Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Anthony J. Rudgers" <an...@att.net> on 2014/01/05 04:59:31 UTC

Re: All essay text turned to hashtags--commentary

Greetings All!

The present "hashtag" problem is is symptomatic of the entire OO software
suite.  An ordinary user of OO, doing ordinary things w/ a word processor or
other office-suite software, suddenly gets something that is really screwy,
& doesn't know what to do to fix it.  Much of their production gets lost, or
else, they spend a lot of time attempting to get their WP document or
spreadsheet the way they want it by trying again & again to get around
built-in or default features (or bugs!) of OO that they don't understand or
know how to modify (& OO documentation, as I have found, is meager &
inadequate).  Unless you're a long-time & dedicated user, the OO suite never
seems to do quite what you'd like it to do & you usually can't figure out
how to fix things ON YOUR OWN COMPUTER W/ YOUR EXISTING SOFTWARE.  One has
to have the ability to fix things quickly on their own w/o "going to the
experts" every time a problem w/ OO arises!  For the casual user, the OO
product appears flawed.  People who use any software product want to spend
their time & creativity on what they are developing, rather than spending
time & effort on issues associated w/ the tool they are using to develop it.
OO office software needs much effort to make it more efficient, largely
error-free, & much more user friendly.

Beat wishes,

Anthony J. Rudgers
Orlando, FL U.S.A.

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
On 5-1-2014 23:23, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> The question should be asked "When does OpenOffice erase the previous copy of the file?". Surely this should only be after the Save process reaches a conclusion. I can recollect from my CP/M days that one had to adopt a certain sequence in saving a file for best security. One saved the file to File.new (say), then renamed File.org to File.bak then renamed File.new to File.org. Is this or a similar protocol being followed in OO? Perhaps some temporary relief can be obtained by changing the options in OpenOffice to_always_  generate a backup.
What happens with the backup when you work on a writer and a calc
document e.g. test.odt and test.ods?
I have no idea if test.bak is a writer or a calc document.
What will happen if both backups are made at the same time, would they
corrupt the backup file?
Could something similar happen with auto recovery files?

Re: All essay text turned to hashtags--commentary

Posted by Rima Schulkind <ri...@schulkind.com>.
Despite my fear of being considered too dumb to use OO, here's my experience: when a document I was working on (just trying to insert a line by hitting "return" between two lines) suddenly became all hashtag gibberish - as then did all my stored OO files -  I reinstalled OO. And all was well.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 16:12:20 +0000
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 17:07:27 +0100
> Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net> wrote:
>

> > Am 05.01.2014 15:06, schrieb Hagar Delest:
> >
> > > The power shortage is clearly a root cause.
> > > Perhaps we need an old disk to test what happens when we pull the plug
> > > during a save operation.
> >
> > Whats about the autorecovery function of AOO.
>
> It can work, but for critical work relying on it can be catastrophic in the instances that it fails.
>
> With an unimportant file, try pulling your power cord a few times; it is not 10% reliable..

Sorry! 10% should read 100%

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: All essay text turned to hashtags--commentary

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 05/01/2014 12:47, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :
> A random note if this can help: to study this problem, once I tried to deliberately fill the hard disk until I had a few MBytes free. Then I opened a heavy presentation file, with many images, and edited it normally, adding and removing content. An automatic backup failed (due to the full disk) and I think an error message was displayed (I/O error). I then tried a save operation, which failed with the same error. But then I was stuck: the file I was editing was corrupted (the images did not display) and the last saved version on disk was corrupted too (of course this was a test so I had made a backup before testing). Maybe this deserves a better investigation.

In this case, at least you've some text remaining and the file is not empty.

> It could be that some or all of these bug reports are due to a full disk (I do know some people who work with <100 MBytes free on disk, so it's not even a "1 in millions" scenario). The good thing is that this scenario can be reproduced.

The power shortage is clearly a root cause.
Perhaps we need an old disk to test what happens when we pull the plug during a save operation.

Hagar

Re: All essay text turned to hashtags--commentary

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 05/01/2014 10:30, Aspects a écrit :
> With apologies, but can we get back to finding a solution to this problem rather than slagging each other (and AOO) off.
>
> I have used this suite since version 2 on OS X, Linux and Both 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows. I have only ever suffered minor glitches with formatting and some eccentricities with the spell-checker: both of them known and cured at the next minor version update.

So do I (on Windows 2K, XP, Vista, 7, x/ubuntu) and never had this problem (using AOO 8 hours a day at work on Windows systems).
But there are enough reports to confirm that there IS a problem somewhere. A clear root cause is power shortage (that is different than just killing the soffice process). What is not clear for me is if the shortage has to occur during a save process or not and in what step of the save process. NB: some reports seems to tell that no process was involved during the shortage. A disk cache issue then?

> This is unusual and sounds very much as if a file format was wrongly applied at the last save. Can we all concentrate on getting these two problems solved: finding some way of recovering the document and tracing down the glitch that caused this.

I'm definitively sure that this is not a file format issue: the content of the file is full of zeros. There is absolutely nothing left. So no recovery possible.

Some will find the rants from users FUD but I do understand such rants. This is a good reason to be furious against the application. I understand a problem during save process so I would put up with losing the new version of the file I'm saving (I mean the last edits). But losing the file saved last time is just unacceptable, it's a major data loss (P1 in the bug tracker). This problem should be investigated as seriously as possible.

Posted by Aspects <pa...@aspects.net>.
With apologies, but can we get back to finding a solution to this problem rather than slagging each other (and AOO) off.

I have used this suite since version 2 on OS X, Linux and Both 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows. I have only ever suffered minor glitches with formatting and some eccentricities with the spell-checker: both of them known and cured at the next minor version update.

This is unusual and sounds very much as if a file format was wrongly applied at the last save. Can we all concentrate on getting these two problems solved: finding some way of recovering the document and tracing down the glitch that caused this.

Paul Simmonds
Sent from my mobile

Posted by Gary Frost <gl...@me.com>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

TN Patriot wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 22:59:31 -0500 "Anthony J. Rudgers"
> <an...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> Greetings All!
>>
>> The present "hashtag" problem is is symptomatic of the entire OO
>> software suite.  An ordinary user of OO, doing ordinary things w/
>> a word processor or other office-suite software, suddenly gets
>> something that is really screwy, & doesn't know what to do to fix
>> it.  Much of their production gets lost, or else, they spend a
>> lot of time attempting to get their WP document or spreadsheet
>> the way they want it by trying again & again to get around
>> built-in or default features (or bugs!) of OO that they don't
>> understand or know how to modify (& OO documentation, as I have
>> found, is meager & inadequate).  Unless you're a long-time &
>> dedicated user, the OO suite never seems to do quite what you'd
>> like it to do & you usually can't figure out how to fix things ON
>> YOUR OWN COMPUTER W/ YOUR EXISTING SOFTWARE.  One has to have the
>> ability to fix things quickly on their own w/o "going to the
>> experts" every time a problem w/ OO arises!  For the casual user,
>> the OO product appears flawed.  People who use any software
>> product want to spend their time & creativity on what they are
>> developing, rather than spending time & effort on issues
>> associated w/ the tool they are using to develop it. OO office
>> software needs much effort to make it more efficient, largely
>> error-free, & much more user friendly.
>>
>> Beat wishes,
>>
>> Anthony J. Rudgers Orlando, FL U.S.A.
>>

> With people like you, your problem with 'software' is you're not
> smart enough to use it correctly.
>
> In the minimum of 10 years I've been using OpenOffice, I've yet to
> have any of the problems you or the OP have had. Seems an awful lot
> of other people are the same way. It seems *YOU* are your own worst
> problem, especially when you come on mailing lists with a bunch of
> moronic FUD and absolutely nothing to back it up.
>
> I'll continue to use AOO, with no problems, on my system and just
> keep laughing at dimbulbs like you who have no decent reason to own
> a computer much less the ability to turn one on without breaking
> it.
>
> Now please, go take along walk on a short pier in Antarctic
> waters.

TN Patriot;
Statements such as the above do nothing to further the cause of
OpenOffice and IMHO add nothing to the discussion of the problem at
hand. I would refer you to the List Conduct Guidelines at
http://openoffice.apache.org/list-conduct.html.

As on that spent most of my working career doing direct support of one
form or another I know first hand that there is a certain amount of
validity to some of Mr. Rudgers statements. We need to listen with
open minds to all members open the OpenOffice community, even those
with whom we may disagree, if we are to advance both the development
of the software and its acceptance in the wider world.

Regards
Keith N. McKenna

Regards
Keith

Re: All essay text turned to hashtags--commentary

Posted by TN Patriot <ir...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 22:59:31 -0500