Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Anderson <da...@calixo.net> on 2006/07/15 18:44:56 UTC

1.4.0-rc3 tarballs up for testing/signing

Subversion 1.4.0-rc3 is up for testing and signing. The magic revision
is r20656.

This is the exact same package as RC2, the only difference being that
it was produced with Autoconf 2.59, rather than 2.60.  This eliminates
the deps build failures observed on RC2, and also reverts the main svn
source tree to a version of Autoconf known to be mature and work
properly, rather than use a new and potentially broken release.

The decision to reroll came after a long and unfinished debate on what
to do about the rc2 being rolled with autoconf 2.60.  After roughly
one afternoon of discussing, we failed to reach an agreement, and
following a suggestion that the RM is the benevolent dictator of a
release, I made my mind up and rerolled.

This, unfortunately, invalidates the signatures made on RC2.  I
apologize to all those who did sign that RC for wasting your time,
both real and cpu, on testing the previous release, but I really feel
that changing versions of the build system is serious enough to
warrant rerolling now, not in two weeks.  Call me Susan if you
disagree, I do see the case against rerolling, but I'm tired of the
debate and just want to move on now.

Peter Samuelson remarked on IRC that if you *really* don't want to do
a full retest, you could just run a diff between rc2 and 3, verify
that there is no code change aside from autoconf stuff and
svn_version.h, and sign rc3 based on that.  I would honestly prefer
that you do at least one test run with the new build system, but if
you really feel strongly against doing so, consider signing this way
over not signing at all (but mention that you didn't run the tests in
your sig email please, so that I know what kind of coverage there is).

So, thank you autoconf for breaking your code in a minor release,
thank you for providing the grounds for a thoroughly unpleasant
afternoon.  Now, let's get on with it.

http://lolut.utbm.info/subversion/1.4.0/rc3/

As usual, signatures from full committers back to me, and enthusiastic
tester feedback is welcome. However, this RC is not yet blessed for
wide release, so please don't make it available to people not
interested in test-driving the new release.

Also, distro package maintainers, please to NOT include any RC builds,
even blessed, into operating system distros.  The reasons for not
doing so were very eloquently outlined by Karl in a mail, which is
summarized at the above address.

The quick version is: we don't guarantee compatibility between the RCs
and the final release, so if people install the RC, all their
repositories and working copies might break unrepairably when they
upgrade to 1.4.0 proper.  We don't want that kind of bad publicity,
and neither do you.

- Dave

Re: 1.4.0-rc3 tarballs up for testing/signing

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 7/18/06, Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:
> The specific circumstances provoking the error are:
>
>  * Neon installed in same prefix as Subversion is being built for.
>  * Old Subversion libraries also present in that prefix.

Testing when having the libraries installed has always been a
problematic situation - libtool-hackery or not.  (The libtool hacks in
r20701+ don't work on all platforms either; just Linux-y ones.)  I
certainly don't believe a soak reset is warranted or even a new RC for
that matter.  -- justin

Re: 1.4.0-rc3 tarballs up for testing/signing

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
David Anderson wrote:
> Subversion 1.4.0-rc3 is up for testing and signing. The magic revision
> is r20656.

For me, the following tests fail:

 - ra-local-test
 - all svnsync_tests

I've committed and nominated the r20701 backport group to fix.

The specific circumstances provoking the error are:

 * Neon installed in same prefix as Subversion is being built for.
 * Old Subversion libraries also present in that prefix.

Please review r20701+friends, and decide whether they can go in without
resetting the soak period completely. (We have NO documented guidelines
on what is allowed in before the final week of absolute freeze starts.)

If it is not permitted to get these in without a soak restart, we need RC4.

If it is, I will apply a local workaround, and test everything else, and
sign.

Max.

Re: 1.4.0-rc3 tarballs up for testing/signing

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 7/15/06, David Anderson <da...@calixo.net> wrote:
> Subversion 1.4.0-rc3 is up for testing and signing. The magic revision
> is r20656.
>
> This is the exact same package as RC2, the only difference being that
> it was produced with Autoconf 2.59, rather than 2.60.  This eliminates
> the deps build failures observed on RC2, and also reverts the main svn
> source tree to a version of Autoconf known to be mature and work
> properly, rather than use a new and potentially broken release.

[snip]

All tests pass on WinXP with VC2005 Express -- fsfs and bdb over all
ra_local/ra_svn/ra_dav layers.  I used Apache 2.0.58, zlib 1.2.3, BDB
4.4.20,
neon 0.26.1, and OpenSSL 0.9.8.

I also built the swig python bindings successfully and ran the tests
but got one failure (after two asserts in 'is_canonical' in
libsvn_subr\path.c:114 popped) -- I'm not sure I was running them
correctly, though:

E................................
ERROR: Test scope of get_logs callbacks
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\svn-builder\djh-xp-vse2005\subversion-1.4.0-rc3\subversion\bindings\s
wig\python\tests\client.py", line 37, in test_info
    False, self.client_ctx)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\libsvn\client.py", line 1231, in svn_clien
t_info
    return apply(_client.svn_client_info, args)
SubversionException: ('Unable to open an ra_local session to URL', 180001)

Ran 33 tests in 44.453s

FAILED (errors=1)

I did not try to build any other bindings and I did not test the deps file.

subversion-1.4.0-rc3.zip.asc

My key info:
pub   1024D/F6254D87 2005-12-22 [expires: 2015-12-20]
     Key fingerprint = 5F17 7F74 C736 CE57 FD2D  4B84 127F 923C F625 4D87
uid                  D.J. Heap <dj...@gmail.com>

DJ

Re: 1.4.0-rc3 tarballs up for testing/signing

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> ps. Can i upload the package in our development version ? I know that is not
> for production, but for devekopment branch would be usefull have other users
> inputs.

We'd prefer you didn't - until the testing/signing phase is complete,
and the Release Manager has send a mail announcing that, the tarball is
_not_ an official product of the Subversion project - it is merely a
snapshot of the repository.

You are guaranteed a *minimum* of 4 weeks between the first _official_
release candidate, and the final release, so there's no need to rush it
into testing.

Max.

Re: 1.4.0-rc3 tarballs up for testing/signing

Posted by Helio Chissini de Castro <he...@mandriva.com>.
Em Saturday 15 July 2006 15:44, David Anderson escreveu:
> Subversion 1.4.0-rc3 is up for testing and signing. The magic revision
> is r20656.
>
> This is the exact same package as RC2, the only difference being that
> it was produced with Autoconf 2.59, rather than 2.60.  This eliminates
> the deps build failures observed on RC2, and also reverts the main svn
> source tree to a version of Autoconf known to be mature and work
> properly, rather than use a new and potentially broken release.

Passed on latest Mandriva Cooker snapshot ( dvelopmente branch for Mandriva
2007 ).
Tests passed with this exception
Using any language different of C lead tests to fail, so for package was
requires to add LC_ALL=C and LANG=C
Same error appears if use my standard language ( pt_BR ) or French ( fr )
All errors with non C langs starts on  getopt_tests.py

[]'s

--
Helio Chissini de Castro
Research and development

Re: 1.4.0-rc3 tarballs up for testing/signing

Posted by Paul Burba <pa...@softlanding.com>.
David Anderson <da...@calixo.net> wrote on 07/15/2006 02:44:56
PM:

> Subversion 1.4.0-rc3 is up for testing and signing. The magic revision
> is r20656.
<snip>
> http://lolut.utbm.info/subversion/1.4.0/rc3/
>
> As usual, signatures from full committers back to me, and enthusiastic
> tester feedback is welcome. However, this RC is not yet blessed for
> wide release, so please don't make it available to people not
> interested in test-driving the new release.

TESTED:
-------
[ fsfs | bdb ] x [ file | svn | http ]

PLATFORM:
---------
Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP2 x86
MS Visual C++ 6.0

DEPENDENCIES:
-------------
apr, apr-iconv, apr-util, neon, zlib: From subversion-deps-1.4.0-rc2.zip
OpenSSL: 0.9.8b
Apache: 2.0.58
BDB:
http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/32472/db-4.4.20-win32.zip

RESULTS:
--------
All tests pass.

SIGNATURES:
User: Paul T. Burba (pburba) <pa...@softlanding.com>
1024-bit DSA key, ID 53FCDC55, created 2006/06/21

subversion-1.4.0-rc3.zip.asc:

subversion-deps-1.4.0-rc3.zip.asc: