Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> on 2017/06/08 13:55:18 UTC

[VOTE] 0.11.0.0 RC0

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the first candidate for release of Apache Kafka 0.11.0.0. It's
worth noting that there are a small number of unresolved issues (including
documentation and system tests) related to the new AdminClient and
Exactly-once functionality[1] that we hope to resolve in the next few days.
To encourage early testing, we are releasing the first release candidate
now, but there will be at least one more release candidate.

Any and all testing is welcome, but the following areas are worth
highlighting:

1. Client developers should verify that their clients can produce/consume
to/from 0.11.0 brokers (ideally with compressed and uncompressed data).
Even though we have compatibility tests for older Java clients and we have
verified that librdkafka works fine, the only way to be sure is to test
every client.
2. Performance and stress testing. Heroku and LinkedIn have helped with
this in the past (and issues have been found and fixed).
3. End users can verify that their apps work correctly with the new release.

This is a major version release of Apache Kafka. It includes 32 new KIPs. See
the release notes and release plan (https://cwiki.apache.org/
confluence/display/KAFKA/Release+Plan+0.11.0.0) for more details. A few
feature highlights:

* Exactly-once delivery and transactional messaging
* Streams exactly-once semantics
* Admin client with support for topic, ACLs and config management
* Record headers
* Request rate quotas
* Improved resiliency: replication protocol improvement and single-threaded
controller
* Richer and more efficient message format

Release notes for the 0.11.0.0 release:
http://home.apache.org/~ijuma/kafka-0.11.0.0-rc0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
http://home.apache.org/~ijuma/kafka-0.11.0.0-rc0/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
http://home.apache.org/~ijuma/kafka-0.11.0.0-rc0/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 0.11.0 branch) is the 0.11.0.0 tag:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=kafka.git;a=tag;h=
d5ee02b187fafe08b63deb52e6b07c8d1d12f18d

* Documentation:
http://kafka.apache.org/0110/documentation.html

* Protocol:
http://kafka.apache.org/0110/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 0.11.0 branch:
Unit/integration tests: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-0.11.0-jdk7/121/

Thanks,
Ismael

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%
3D%20KAFKA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%200.11.0.0%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%
20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20due%20ASC%2C%20priority%
20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC

Re: [VOTE] 0.11.0.0 RC0

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Thanks Tom, that sounds great. And I agree about your comment regarding RC0
to RC1 changes.

Ismael

Re: [VOTE] 0.11.0.0 RC0

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.