Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Austin Chungath <au...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/04 20:57:31 UTC

Need help optimizing reducer

Hi all,

I have 1 reducer and I have around 600 thousand unique keys coming to it.
The total data is only around 30 mb.
My logic doesn't allow me to have more than 1 reducer.
It's taking too long to complete, around 2 hours. (till 66% it's fast then
it slows down/ I don't really think it has started doing anything till 66%
but then why does it show like that?).
Are there any job execution parameters that can help improve reducer
performace?
Any suggestions to improve things when we have to live with just one
reducer?

thanks,
Austin

Re: Need help optimizing reducer

Posted by Fatih Haltas <fa...@nyu.edu>.
I mean,
while trying to add newcoming reducer input value to already merged input
values,to construct whole input values of corresponding key value to
reducer, you might be reading every input values(which are output value of
mapper) from beginning to end.

Posted by Fatih Haltas <fa...@nyu.edu>.
I mean,

Posted by Fatih Haltas <fa...@nyu.edu>.
I mean,

Posted by Fatih Haltas <fa...@nyu.edu>.
I mean,

Posted by Fatih Haltas <fa...@nyu.edu>.
Hi Austin,

Posted by Fatih Haltas <fa...@nyu.edu>.
Hi Austin,

Posted by Fatih Haltas <fa...@nyu.edu>.
Hi Austin,

Posted by Fatih Haltas <fa...@nyu.edu>.
Hi Austin,

Posted by Mahesh Balija <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mahesh Balija <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by samir das mohapatra <sa...@gmail.com>.
Austin,
  I think  you have to use partitioner to spawn more then one reducer for
small data set.
  Default Partitioner will allow you only one reducer, you have to
overwrite and implement you own logic to spawn more then one reducer.

Posted by Ajay Srivastava <Aj...@guavus.com>.
Are you using combiner ? If not, that will be first thing to do.

Posted by Ajay Srivastava <Aj...@guavus.com>.

Posted by Ajay Srivastava <Aj...@guavus.com>.

Posted by Mahesh Balija <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ajay Srivastava <Aj...@guavus.com>.