Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christoph Sch?nfeld <cs...@alcedis.de> on 2001/11/02 20:34:46 UTC

Automatic generation of user webapps (http://localhost/~user/webapp)

In Chapter 9.1 the Java Servlet Specification 2.3 says:

"A servlet container can establish rules for automatic generation of web applications. For example a ~user/ mapping could be used to map to a web application based at /home/user/public_html/."

Does Tomcat 4 support this? I know, the specification explicitly says "can," but this feature would be really useful! All servlet developers could just put their web applications into $HOME/webapps and Tomcat would automatically create them a context on startup.

The WebAppDeploy directive does not seem to support this. Can it be achieved somehow else?

thanks,
Christoph
This message has been posted through the Jakarta Tomcat 4.0 F.A.Q.
on line forum, and can be seen at:
<http://nagoya.apache.org:8080/jive/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=19>
For more informations about the on-line Jakarta forums, please go to:
<http://nagoya.apache.org:8080/jive/>

Re: Automatic generation of user webapps (http://localhost/~user/webapp)

Posted by Christoph Schönfeld <cs...@alcedis.de>.
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On -1 xxx -1, [646] Christoph Sch?nfeld wrote:
in the very first moment of reading your reply I thought this was to
inform me about your -1 votes against this feature. lucky me it wasn't. :-)

thanks, and please forgive my ignorance not looking carefully enough
through the docs where I could have found everything myself.

Christoph

>>From: "[646] Christoph Sch?nfeld" <cs...@alcedis.de>
>>To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
>>Subject: Automatic generation of user webapps
>>    (http://localhost/~user/webapp)
>>
>>In Chapter 9.1 the Java Servlet Specification 2.3 says:
>>
>>"A servlet container can establish rules for automatic generation of
>>web applications. For example a ~user/ mapping could be used to map to
>>a web application based at /home/user/public_html/."
>>
>>Does Tomcat 4 support this? I know, the specification explicitly says
>>"can," but this feature would be really useful! All servlet developers
>>could just put their web applications into $HOME/webapps and Tomcat
>>would automatically create them a context on startup.
>>
>>The WebAppDeploy directive does not seem to support this. Can it be
>>achieved somehow else?
>>

> Docs for doing this in Tomcat 4 (stand alone) are available at:
>
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/host.html
>
> Scroll down to "User Web Applications" at the bottom.  To do this through
> Apache, you'd need to convince Apache to do some things for you -- I don't
> know how that would be done.
>

>>thanks,
>>Christoph
>>

> Craig

Christoph Schönfeld   !  // The worst possible legal hashCode
csc@alcedis.de        !  public int hashCode() { return 42; }
http://www.freeco.de  !    -- _Effective Java_

Re: Automatic generation of user webapps (http://localhost/~user/webapp)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On -1 xxx -1, [646] Christoph Sch?nfeld wrote:

> From: "[646] Christoph Sch?nfeld" <cs...@alcedis.de>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Automatic generation of user webapps
>     (http://localhost/~user/webapp)
>
> In Chapter 9.1 the Java Servlet Specification 2.3 says:
>
> "A servlet container can establish rules for automatic generation of
> web applications. For example a ~user/ mapping could be used to map to
> a web application based at /home/user/public_html/."
>
> Does Tomcat 4 support this? I know, the specification explicitly says
> "can," but this feature would be really useful! All servlet developers
> could just put their web applications into $HOME/webapps and Tomcat
> would automatically create them a context on startup.
>
> The WebAppDeploy directive does not seem to support this. Can it be
> achieved somehow else?

Docs for doing this in Tomcat 4 (stand alone) are available at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/host.html

Scroll down to "User Web Applications" at the bottom.  To do this through
Apache, you'd need to convince Apache to do some things for you -- I don't
know how that would be done.

> thanks,
> Christoph

Craig