Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2002/08/01 01:17:16 UTC

RE: Jakarta Newsletter - June 2002

Pier wrote:
>There has never been such an election. I would say: all committers.

in which case :

> [X]I want Rob to be a voting member of the Jakarta community

> [X] I vote to make Rob a committer of "jakarta-site" and related CVS
       repositories.

And at the same time:

>+1 [ ] I want the institution of a new figure of "non committer  voting
       member" giving rights to people involved with the Jakarta community
       at large, but not directly involved with one particular codebase, to
       vote on "general" issues, such as acceptance of a new codebase, or
       PMC election)
> 0 [ ] I don't care about this issue
>-1 [X] I don't want to give voting rights to people non associated with a
       particular code base because ....

-1 because, although I do agree with Pier's sentiments regarding the
involvement of non-coding contributors, and argued his case when this was
last aired, I have thought about it and made a radical U turn.

I believe that non coding contributors, to whom we wish to extend voting
rights, can also reasonably be expected to have write access to
jakarta-site2, making them commiters.

The fact that they may either never use this right directly, or may indeed
never get to grips with the technology should not prevent us from extending
the right, and it is surely not beyond the grasp of so many technologists to
provide the security, and ease of use that would allow non-coding commiters
to actively contribute to the site.

Sorry Pier,
d.