Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rob Brown <ro...@whispertech.co.nz> on 2006/04/10 03:10:01 UTC

Checked-out files become read-only

Hi,

I haven't seen any reference to this in the FAQ, the Book, the TortoiseSVN
docs, the users@ ML etc, which I assume means that I'm doing something
stupid that no-one else has done (or admitted to)...

I'm using Subversion version 1.3.1 currently, although I've tried previous
versions with the same results. Also, I've verified that the same things
happen whether I use TortoiseSVN (version 1.3.2 currently) or the command
line tools. I've tried using svnserve and got the same results. The OS is
Windows XP.

I create a repository. I have 6 subprojects, so I create a hierarchy like:

Root
    Project1
        branches
        tags
        trunk
    .
    .
    .
    Project6
        branches
        tags
        trunk

I populate the "trunk" repositories with files, TortoiseSVN puts little
green tick overlays on everything, and 'svn status' says nothing. I modify a
file, TortoiseSVN puts a red exclamation mark on the file and the parent
folder, and 'svn status' says "M        filename". I commit the file (either
by committing the file itself or its parent folder, it makes no difference.
I've tried it with an 'svn update' before the commit, which also makes no
difference), and this works correctly. For example, from the command line:

C:\Project1>svn commit -m "Added blank line" common
Sending        common\enumser.cpp
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 7.

Now I have a problem though, because the file I just committed is now set as
read-only. TortoiseSVN shows the file with a grey tick, which it says means
that it has the "needs-lock" property. I don't think this is actually true,
because I've never set any properties on any files. I can get the lock on
the file, and this successfully says that the file is locked, but the file
is still read-only! Of course, releasing the lock on the file leaves it as
read-only, which I expected.

In case it's not obvious, I'd like a committed file to be made read-write,
so that I can continue to edit it.

I was originally doing all of this on a network share drive, but I saw a
fairly cryptic message in the users@ ML about incorrect share settings
causing issues, so I repeated all the tests on a local repository and got
the same result.

If I manually clear the read-only flag on the file, I can edit it and commit
the result successfully. After the commit, the file is read-only again.

One last thing, I did play around with the svnserve.conf, authz, and
password files out of idle curiosity, but I'm pretty sure that they're not
used when there is no server backing the repository.

Please, can someone point out my error? I'd even appreciate a link to some
documentation that says what I am seeing is normal!

Thanks,
Rob Brown.