Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2013/03/23 02:28:49 UTC

[lucy-dev] Book Club milestone

Greets,

The Lucy Book Club reached a milestone at our meeting this past Tuesday: we've
made it all the way through the book we set out to read, Programming Language
Pragmatics, Third Edition by Michael L. Scott.

PLP3 is over 800 pages long and contains some pretty challenging material, and
I think our group of regulars should feel pleased at having sustained focus
for this long -- especially given our diverse backgrounds.  Other groups I've
been involved in have not always managed such stamina.

Looking forward, I think it would be nice if we had more sessions like the one
Dan Markham organized on the PFOR-delta white paper.  I don't have plans to
continue driving us forward as has sometimes been the case, but when someone
else proposes a session, I intend to show up having read the material and
ready to participate.  In the short term that may mean that sessions become
scheduled more sporadically and ad hoc.  That's fine; after 8 months of
regular weekly meetings, I could use a breather -- and I know I'm not the only
one. :)

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] Book Club milestone

Posted by Logan Bell <lo...@gmail.com>.
I would have to say it was fun, and it's been great to read a challenging
book which generated some great side conversations about Lucy as well.

Look forward to seeing where the book club is going in the future.

Cheers,
Logan

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.