Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by jn...@comcast.net on 2012/08/08 20:13:53 UTC

Configuring mod-Perl to handle only some file types

Hello,

I have a mod_perl program that is written to handle URL's that
name either a directory or *.html type files. All other types
I want Apache to just do its regular thing (e.g., serve image
type files, or .doc, .pdf, .js, .css, etc.)

What's a good way to configure that? So for an entire website
directory, and all its substructure, my perl handler gets only directories
or  *.html files, and apache handles everything else without
involing my perl handler.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Joe N

Re: Configuring mod-Perl to handle only some file types

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 8/8/2012 2:13 PM, jniederberger@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a mod_perl program that is written to handle URL's that
> name either a directory or *.html type files. All other types
> I want Apache to just do its regular thing (e.g., serve image
> type files, or .doc, .pdf, .js, .css, etc.)
> What's a good way to configure that? So for an entire website
> directory, and all its substructure, my perl handler gets only
> directories
> or  *.html files, and apache handles everything else without
> involing my perl handler.
>
> Thanks for any help or ideas.
Hi Joe,

I used .cgim extension for this to reflect mod_perl

I don't have access to an example from a more recent server but this is
how I made .cgim's under one site work.  It might help you.

<Directory /htdocs/example.org/html/>
   <Files ~ "\.cgim$">
     SetHandler perl-script
     PerlHandler Apache::PerlRun
     #PerlHandler Apache::Registry
     Options +ExecCGI
     PerlSendHeader On
     PerlInitHandler Apache::StatINC
     PerlSetVar StatINC_Debug 1
   </Files>
</Directory>

regards,
KAM

Re: Configuring mod-Perl to handle only some file types

Posted by "Ekki Plicht (DF4OR)" <ek...@plicht.de>.
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM, <jn...@comcast.net> wrote:

>   Thank you – both Kevin and Ekki
>
> For my purposes I think Ekki’s idea sounds more like it could work.
>
> Ekki – would you know how to phrase that match in the negative?
> In other words, write a regex to match .jpeg, .doc, ....etc. etc.
> and if those matches FAIL - then use perl handler?

Joe,
I don't think that that approach will work in the long term. What if
someone wants to serve a file *.xyz in the future? You would have to
adjust  that regex. And again, and again...

I think it would be much easier to set up <DirectoryMatch 'regex'> and
<FilesMatch 'regex'> sections for what you want to serve by your
handler(s), and let Apache handle _all_ other files/dirs.

Filter on what is the smaller set - and I think that's your dirs and .html
files. All other files not mentioned in those <*Match ...> sections are
automatically handled by Apache. Further - a regex matching all those files
you don't want to handle yourself would be rather lengthy and unwieldy.

Take a look at Apaches fine documentation, look for <DirectoryMatch ...>
and <FilesMatch ...> directives.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#directorymatch
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#filesmatch

For example, a <FilesMatch ...> for . htm or .html Files would look like
(untested):

    PerlRequire /var/www/mysite/cgi-bin/my_modperl_module.pm

    <FilesMatch "\.html?$">
        SetHandler perl-script
        PerlResponseHandler my_modperl_module   # which contains a sub
handler {...};
    </FilesMatch>

Cheers,
Ekki

Posted by jn...@comcast.net.
Thank you – both Kevin and Ekki

For my purposes I think Ekki’s idea sounds more like it could work.

Ekki – would you know how to phrase that match in the negative?
In other words, write a regex to match .jpeg, .doc, ....etc. etc.
and if those matches FAIL - then use perl handler?

Thanks again,
Joe N

Posted by "Ekki Plicht (DF4OR)" <ek...@plicht.de>.