Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Thim Anneesens <t....@ictjob.be> on 2012/01/26 09:33:14 UTC

Stuts VS Tapestry - I need some ammo

Hello Tapestry users,

The company where I work is going to choose a web framework to implement
there site (the company core business revolves around that site). We did
a POC with Spirng MVC, JSF, Struts and Tapestry.
We have shortlisted to Struts and Tapestry and I have the feeling that
Struts will win.

The manager decision seams to revolve around the argument that if we can
do in Struts what we can do with Tapestry while keeping a code that is
relatively clean and readable, we should use Struts.

*Does anyone have a killer use case that would be difficult to implement
in Struts and easy in Tapestry.*

I already demonstrated the following about tapestry:

  * Better components in Tapestry than in Struts
  * Better persistence tools (FLASH, CLIENT, SESSION ,SESSION STATE, ...)
  * Cleaner templates
  * Less code review because of the framework sensible conventions
  * Better code navigability (when using an IDE)
  * Better refactoring (most of the code is in Java)
  * Coherence and homogeneity (One framework for all your needs / Struts
    needs JSP, Freemarker, Spring services and Tiles to even compete )
  * Strong Ajax support out of the box
  * Powerful configuration with symbols
  * Beautiful architecture (easy to remember because very sensible)
  * Easy to extend or override most of the features
  * Live class reloading
  * Made with most of the common web use cases in mind (javascript, css,
    ajax, session, query parameters, cookies, integration with backend,
    ...).
  * Everything at your fingertips with Injection and IoC

These are more than sufficient to convince me that productivity and
maintainability will be far better with Tapestry than with Struts. But
unfortunately, I fail to demonstrate to the manager :(.

Sorry for my poor English and thanks in advance,

Thim Anneessens.

Re: Stuts VS Tapestry - I need some ammo

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
<th...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep, Struts 2 isn't bad, but Tapestry and almost any other
> component-oriented framework, even JSF, is way better than Struts 2. And
> please, never ever think about adopting Struts 1. It sucks in every single
> way possible.
> I realized that when I was the instructor of a Struts 1 course many years
> ago.
> Students often asked: why so many lines of code for so little functionality?
> They were right. Struts 1 barely changed in the last 8 years.

+1

S1 is horrible. It was pain to learn back then. S2 is ways better.
But not every component framework is better - I am really
dissappointed by Wicket.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Stuts VS Tapestry - I need some ammo

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Oops, I've accidentally hit the send button too early.

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:03:17 -0200, Christian Grobmeier
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hey guys,
>
> Hi!
>
>> while I agree that T5 is amazing I must say Struts2 is not so bad as it
>> is discussed here.

Yep, Struts 2 isn't bad, but Tapestry and almost any other
component-oriented framework, even JSF, is way better than Struts 2. And
please, never ever think about adopting Struts 1. It sucks in every single
way possible.
I realized that when I was the instructor of a Struts 1 course many years
ago.
Students often asked: why so many lines of code for so little
functionality?
They were right. Struts 1 barely changed in the last 8 years.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor
http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: Stuts VS Tapestry - I need some ammo

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,

Hi!

> while I agree that T5 is amazing I must say Struts2 is not so bad as it
> is discussed here.

Yep, Struts 2 isn't bad, but Tapestry and almost any other
component-oriented framework, even JSF, is way better than Struts 2. And
please, never ever think about adopting

There are far more bad frameworks out there. At least S2

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor
Consultor, desenvolvedor e instrutor em Java, Tapestry e Hibernate
http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: Stuts VS Tapestry - I need some ammo

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
<th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:49:39 -0200, Christian Grobmeier
> <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I do this in Struts (with my own S2 json plugin)
>
> Point to Tapestry, which does this out-of-the-box without plugins! :)

Well, in turn I can choose between 2 json plugins :-) But well, many
people want their framework to be able to do anything.

>> @JSON
>> class MyAction {
>>
>>   @JSON
>>   private Map results = ...;
>> }
>

> Thanks for the example. :) Does it support nested properties and arrays? I'm
> talking about this:
>
> Nested property: c.d:
> {
>        a: 'b';
>        c: {
>                d: 'e'
>
>        }
> }

Yes, you can do this:

@JSON
class MyAction {
   @JSON String a = "b";
  @JSON Map m = ..
}

and so on which will result in something like you said.
The plugin is here, if you want to take  alook:
https://github.com/grobmeier/jjson

Struts has pretty less to do with it, except for a ResultType
implementation which uses JJSON.

Cheers

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Stuts VS Tapestry - I need some ammo

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Stuts VS Tapestry - I need some ammo

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.
Thiago, your previous replies were the reason I dodged java web frameworks since early 2000 til now...you know your stuff...

on the below reply - because of this list's experience (as apposed to my lay(simple) outlook on it all), would it be possible to make a comparison page of "common requirements".   tapestry can do it all from what i can see in my experience.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,

Hi!

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:51:33 -0200, Christian Grobmeier
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am sorry.
> I meant "optimized for SEO".
> I do not use ajax for "standard" content, which then can be easily
> optimized for SEO using S2

Tapestry has SEO built-in: pages and their activation context. For when
this is not enough, we have URL rewriting (the LinkTransformer API since
5.2, URLRewriter for 5.1).

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
<th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:05:33 -0200, Christian Grobmeier
> <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I expect my users to have JS on these days. And if I need JS I do a
>> webapplication, not just a website. Websites can be easily optimized
>> with Struts2. Webapplications - well do I need or even want to crawl
>> calculations or some other stuff? In my case not.
>

> Could you explain this paragraph? I really don't get it. What do you mean by
> optimization?

I am sorry.
I meant "optimized for SEO".
I do not use ajax for "standard" content, which then can be easily
optimized for SEO using S2

>> My personal killer feature: class reloading. Can only be done with
>> JRebel in S2. It saves much time, and time is money. Explain your
>> managers every deployment costs 4 minutes, you need to do 15 a day.
>

> Agreed. Managers love anything that cut costs (and developer time is $$$)
> and live class reloading reduces development time an awful lot. Ask anyone
> who once developed in Tapestry and then needed to use another web framework.

Like me.

I started with Wicket, and was so dissappointed. My time was going
away, so I needed to choose something I could rely on: Struts. I knew
it already, no surprises. THen another customer asked me to do some
stuff in Tapestry... which was great fun!

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Stuts VS Tapestry - I need some ammo

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:55:19 -0200, Christian Grobmeier
<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In Struts you have to do stuff you get for free with Tapestry. You
> need to take care on this yourself, at least to my knowledge. The only
> chance is someone (or you) writes a Struts 2 plugin for that, which
> seems to be a pretty complicated task.

Writing a Tapestry add-on package is quite easy and it has the advantage
of working without any additional configuration.

I forgot one huge advantage of Tapestry over Struts (and many other
frameworks as well) which managers would love: the amount of code you need
to write is lower (sometimes way lower), and less code => less bugs =>
less $$$ spent on development.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Stuts VS Tapestry - I need some ammo

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys,

Posted by Dmitriy Vsekhvalnov <dv...@gmail.com>.
Seriously?  Struts vs. T5?

Posted by Thim Anneesens <t....@ictjob.be>.
Thanks for the ammo guys ;).

> [...]

>>   * Coherence and homogeneity (One framework for all your needs / Struts
>>    needs JSP, Freemarker, Spring services and Tiles to even compete )
>>   * Strong Ajax support out of the box
>>   * Powerful configuration with symbols
>>   * Beautiful architecture (easy to remember because very sensible)
>>   * Easy to extend or override most of the features
>>   * Live class reloading
>>   * Made with most of the common web use cases in mind (javascript, css,
>>    ajax, session, query parameters, cookies, integration with backend,
>>    ...).
>>   * Everything at your fingertips with Injection and IoC
>>
>> These are more than sufficient to convince me that productivity and
>> maintainability will be far better with Tapestry than with Struts. But
>> unfortunately, I fail to demonstrate to the manager :(.
>>
>> Sorry for my poor English and thanks in advance,

*Thim Anneessens
IT Department *

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.
well if i wasn't a techo i'd ask how many of the staff are familiar with X first up.

then.... being a web framework, can the business layer be developed without the web work being done (i.e. can it be separated later when the next round of framework vs framework comes)

tapestry5 is the first web framework in java i've looked at because (i use ejb3)  it was actually good/awesome  (no that that means anything to your managers)

Posted by Thim Anneesens <t....@ictjob.be>.
It's true that I got allot of answers. Somebody said also something
about the documentation and I must agree that the quality of it is
impressive. Jumpstart also helps you find solutions to common problems.
Tapestry users seem also very vibrant about the technology (I know I am
:) ) and that is a good sign for the future.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by derkoe <ta...@gmail.com>.
Thim Anneesens wrote

> Hello Tapestry users,

Hi!

Thim Anneesens wrote

> The company where I work is going to choose a web framework to implement
> there site (the company core business revolves around that site). We did
> a POC with Spirng MVC, JSF, Struts and Tapestry.
> We have shortlisted to Struts and Tapestry and I have the feeling that
> Struts will win.

Are there any reasons why Struts is winning? I think Struts is quite an old
framework and I won't use it in a new project.

When you are looking for a new web framework look at the requirements of
your project. Do you want to have a component framework (like JSF and
Tapestry) or an action framework (like Spring MVC and Struts)? Do you need
to adhere to standards (JSF, EJB, etc.)? How many users will use your app -
do you need to be stateless (this will sort out some frameworks)? Are all
you programmers well trained in HTML/JS (if you have just some web gurus
then a component framework will be better)? How big will your app be? Will
it be modularized (if yes Tapestry will be a very good choice)?

This article might help with some considerations:
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/15-most-important-considerations-when-choosing-a-web-development-framework/

I guess Tapestry is a good general purpose framework - so you can use it for
web sites with thousands of users and for complex internal admin apps with
just a few users.
Tapestry is especially good for modular web applications and for
encapsulating JS/AJAX (so that just some developers have to know how). You
can also implement cross-cutting concerns better than in any other web
framework I know.

PS:
I think it's quite strange that Struts and Tapestry are your final
candidates since the main choice (component vs. action) would lead to
another grouping.

Re: Stuts VS Tapestry - I need some ammo

Posted by Gunnar Eketrapp <gu...@gmail.com>.
I forgot one thing!

Line-Precise-Error-Reporting !!!!!

The elegent error handling in Tapestry is one of the strongest point.

I did not see that in you list.

If your developers are like me they sometimes make errors.

LPER leads to faster development. Together with live class reloading it's a
winner!

Cheers!

Posted by Gunnar Eketrapp <gu...@gmail.com>.
Clean and readable ....