Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1998/02/17 21:14:14 UTC

mod_auth_sys (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:16:30 +0100
From: Luc Carpentier <lu...@frontierd.com>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: mod_auth_sys

Hi,

I compiled and installed the module mod_auth_sys on our internal web
site. This had to be done, because we sometimes get visitors here who
want to design a chip. We don't want those visitors to see our internal
information here. But this module is very interresting, because it uses
the system's passwd and even nis if you use nis, so you don't have to
change anything when a new user is added that starts to work for us.

The module works fine, but it didn't work like the documentation of the
module said.
In the docs of the module it said to use it this way:

 * Usage in per-directory access conf file:
 *
 *  AuthType Basic
 *  <Limit GET POST>
 *  require valid-user
 *  </Limit>
 *
 *  or
 *
 *  AuthType Basic
 *  <Limit GET>
 *  require user user1 user2
 *  </Limit>

 *  AuthType Basic
 *  <Limit POST>
 *  require group group1 group2
 *  </Limit>

This is how i got it to work:
I put this in the access.conf file:

<Directory /edc/project/www/htdocs/>
AllowOverride None
Options None
AuthName restricted
AuthType Basic
require valid-user
</Directory>

I just wanted you to know this, in case you get questions from other
people about it.

PS: I think it's a great module for internal web sites!

*  Luc Carpentier			Abdijstraat 34		 *
*  System Administrator			3001 Heverlee		 *
*  Frontier Design			Belgium			 *
*  					Phone: + 32 16 39 14 72	 *
*  luc_carpentier@frontierd.com		Fax:   + 32 16 40 60 76  *