Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Robert C Bennett <rb...@ideaweavers.com> on 2001/01/03 18:35:02 UTC

Bug #618

I am having a problem with Tomcat and JDK 1.3 on linux that seems similar to
bug #618

http://znutar.cortexity.com/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/618

What seems to be happening is that when the connection is reset by the
client (only IE 5 does it in this case), all of tomcat crashes.  I run the
same JDK and tomcat version on another linux box and I do not see this
problem.

Does anyone have any ideas of a workaround or fix that might cure this?  I
am really at a loss as to what might make it work differently on our two
machines.  This happens when the IE user clicks on another link before the
page finished loading. Here is a stack trace:

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:413)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:243)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:222)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(SimpleTcpEndpoint.j
ava:267)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.acceptConnections(SimpleTcpEndpo
int.java:248)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpListenerThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:319)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
Endpoint ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=8080]
shutdown due to exception: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by
peer

-Rob Bennett
rbennett@ideaweavers.com

Re: Bug #618

Posted by "yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com" <yh...@mimic.onesourcecorp.com>.

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:

> > What seems to be happening is that when the connection is reset by the
> > client (only IE 5 does it in this case), all of tomcat crashes.  I run the
> > same JDK and tomcat version on another linux box and I do not see this
> > problem.
>
> That seems to me like a JDK problem - probably the 2 linux boxes are using
> different libc.so.x.y.z, or something like that.
>
> In any case, a VM shouldn't crash, regardless of the bytecode it runs (
> unless JNI is used ). If it crashes - change it, or someday you'll install
> a servlet that runs the same bytecode and will crash your server.
>
> Costin
>
> ( I'm a bit sick today, probably next week I'll start working again on
> bugs and I'll try to reproduce it on 3.3 and 3.2.1 - but its a small
> chance to have the same libraries and JDK and conditions. )

<SNIP>

Costin - its very easy to reproduce with tomcat 3.1..it has this problem a
lot. tomcat 3.2 doesnt seem to.
-Ys-
yhs@mimic.onesourcecorp.com

Re: Bug #618