Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@coredevelopers.net> on 2004/04/26 16:54:14 UTC

Configuration plan 'import' feature.

Hi Dain,

The other day we talked on IRC about how the current deployment system
does not allow a configuration to
'mash' together other configurations.  So i implemented an 'import'
feature in the deployment configuration.  This import feature will allow
a configuration to specify a list of other configuration to start before
this one.

I call the feature 'import' because it sets up the Configuration's
classloader to also search for classes using the classloaders of the
imported configuration.

Cycles are not allowed the import graph of a set of configurations.
When the configuration is loaded, the implementation checks for cycles
and throws errors if one is detected.

Anyways..  bellow you will find a simple example of a configuration
snipplet that uses the 'import' feature.  Before committing this code to
CVS, I want to check with you guys if this 'import' feature is something
you want to add.  And if you want me to add it before the initial
geronimo release.

<configuration
    xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment"
    configId="org/apache/geronimo/Server"
    parentId="org/apache/geronimo/System"

    <import configId="org/apache/geronimo/SomeOtherConfig"/>
    <import configId="org/apache/geronimo/AnotherConfig"/>

    <dependency>
        <uri>geronimo-spec/jars/geronimo-spec-j2ee-DEV.jar</uri>
    </dependency>

Hiram