Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Michael Neale <mi...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/28 11:14:28 UTC

Backup tool for Jackrabbit

Can anyone tell me what the status is of the backup tool for jackrabbit? I
remember reading that it was functional - is it now (1.1) part of the
jackrabbit distro? (I have the wiki page on it, that is all).

I am also interested in if the backup/restore tool is suitable for the
following scenarios:

1) migrating from one repository with data to an new empty repository.

2) exporting from one version of the repository, and loading into a newer
version of the repository (with node types, but no data) (perhaps with new
node types) - basically seeing if it can be used for migrtion of data for
repo changes over time. This is a real worry of mine, I still don't
understand how I can make my repository cope with Version 2.0 of the
application when there is existing data ??? any ideas?

Thanks for any advice !

Michael.

Re: Backup tool for Jackrabbit

Posted by Nicolas <nt...@gmail.com>.
you'll get an error if the nodetype is uncompatible or inexistant. Otherwise
it will work if you restore only the content.

This is of course if the current code is accepted which I don't know.

Nico

Posted by Michael Neale <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas <nt...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Neale <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Nicolas.

Posted by Nicolas <nt...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

On 11/28/06, Michael Neale < michael.neale@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the status is of the backup tool for jackrabbit? I
> remember reading that it was functional - is it now (1.1) part of the
> jackrabbit distro? (I have the wiki page on it, that is all).

It is part in the contrib directory.

There are still some parts uncommitted (but in JIRA) so please don't use it.
I am taking this opportunity to rethink the design of a few classes and
perform some house cleaning tasks (add good unit test, some class
renaming,...). I should post on JIRA a new zip by the end of this week or
the next one.

As I am not a committer, I don't know when the commit will actually be
performed, but based on off ML discussion I am pretty confident it should be
quite fast after I post the code.

I am also interested in if the backup/restore tool is suitable for the
> following scenarios:
>
> 1) migrating from one repository with data to an new empty repository.

It is built for this.

2) exporting from one version of the repository, and loading into a newer
> version of the repository (with node types, but no data) (perhaps with new
> node types) - basically seeing if it can be used for migrtion of data for
> repo changes over time. This is a real worry of mine, I still don't
> understand how I can make my repository cope with Version 2.0 of the
> application when there is existing data ??? any ideas?

We discussed this use case. It is not currently supported, but I designed
the project in a way where it is quite easy to support it. If you give me a