Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dennis Foreman <df...@stny.rr.com> on 2003/04/03 16:05:43 UTC

[users@httpd] ~users in a domain (again)

When I login to my XP system as "foreman" on the "wtsn" domain, (this is
the name that appears in my login panel on my XP system) XP uses a profile
named "foreman.WTSN".  My userid is then considered to be "foreman.WTSN",
not just "foreman".

I would like users of my website to be able to access my web directory,
which is NOT the directory in:
 DocumentRoot "C:/Documents and Settings/webroot"
without having to append the ".WTSN".  They should not have to know my
internal domain name.

My personal web directory is actually in
 "C:/Documents and Settings/foreman.WTSN/public_html"

so I have added:
 <Directory "C:/Documents and Settings/*/public_html">
but that doesn't allow for the WTSN and since "foreman" is not the ID.

I may have to add other ID's which will also have the same problem.

I received a hint from the Apache list that mod_rewrite might help me
transform requests for the user directory ~foreman into ~foreman.wtsn, so I
added the following rewrite rule:
 rewriterule ^/~([^/]+)/?(.*)     /~$1.WTSN   [PT]

when I did this, Apache did not recognize foreman.WTSN as a userid and the
resulting URL became:
 "c:/documents and settings/webroot/~foreman.WTSN" which doesn't exist.

Can anyone offer some additional suggestions as to how I might accomplish
this translation?

regards,
D. J. Foreman, Ph. D.
website: http://WWW.CS.Binghamton.EDU/~foreman

Re: [users@httpd] ~users in a domain (again)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Dennis Foreman wrote:
> When I login to my XP system as "foreman" on the "wtsn" domain, (this is
> the name that appears in my login panel on my XP system) XP uses a profile
> named "foreman.WTSN".  My userid is then considered to be "foreman.WTSN",
> not just "foreman".

> My personal web directory is actually in
>  "C:/Documents and Settings/foreman.WTSN/public_html"

AliasMatch /~([a-zA-Z0-9]*)/?(.*) "c:/Documents and
Settings/$1.WTSN/public_html/$2"
(all on one line).

This completely avoids mod_userdir, and will only work if all the web
directories are exactly parallel to yours.

Joshua.