Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bryan Andrews <ba...@trendinfluence.com> on 2004/02/16 13:44:18 UTC

VS.Net SVN and Web Projects - Big problem

While I know this is more a VS.net bug (it can't handle "." Leading a directory name), this has really stopped us dead in the water.

Now I have to hack the web projects into regular class libraries for every web project we have? This will cause problems not only with people not being able to access the files the same way (adding webforms and usercontrols) but they cannot browse their web either.

I can say that unless someone has a good fix here, we will unfortunately have to abandon SVN. This is unfortunate as I really like SVN. I knew it was too good to be true.

:(

Re: VS.Net SVN and Web Projects - Big problem

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
Bryan Andrews wrote:
> While I know this is more a VS.net bug (it can't handle "." Leading a
> directory name), this has really stopped us dead in the water.

Claim your money back or at least a reduction. ;)

> I can say that unless someone has a good fix here, we will unfortunately
> have to abandon SVN. This is unfortunate as I really like SVN. I knew it
> was too good to be true.

Without the smallest guarantee, looking at svn_wc.h, I see
#define SVN_WC_ADM_DIR_NAME  ".svn"

of course, changing that will prevent you from accessing a working copy with a
differently compiled client. Caveat hax0r, so to say..

Uli

RE: VS.Net SVN and Web Projects - Big problem

Posted by Mark Griffiths <ma...@chive.com>.
> I can say that unless someone has a good fix here, we will
> unfortunately have to abandon SVN. This is unfortunate as I
> really like SVN. I knew it was too good to be true.

It's not the best fix, but we edit svn.exe with a binary editor (vs.net works well).
Search for the string ".svn" and replace with "_svn".  Save and deploy the exe to all
clients.  There is no need to deploy the modified exe to the server.

If you have any existing working directories, then run the following script to rename all
.svn directories to _svn:

@ECHO OFF
FOR /R %%f IN (.svn) DO IF EXIST "%%f" (
  ATTRIB -h "%%f"
  RENAME "%%f" _svn
)

Editing the exe is not the most graceful solution, but it is somewhat simpler than
building from sources.

Hope this helps
Mark