Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org> on 2010/06/03 17:12:21 UTC

Use cases for httpd?

Folks,

Should we have a "how do YOU use Apache" checkpoint with our community to see how our users are actually deploying the server?

I have a feeling many people just use their distro package, which means our discussions on what ./configure ... does has a different primary audience than we might think.

We could launch an e-mail discussion, or setup a Survey Monkey (but keep it SHORT!!!) or something like that.

Thoughts?

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org

Re: Use cases for httpd?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On 3 Jun 2010, at 16:12, Sander Temme wrote:

> Should we have a "how do YOU use Apache" checkpoint with our community to see how our users are actually deploying the server?
>
> I have a feeling many people just use their distro package, which means our discussions on what ./configure ... does has a different primary audience than we might think.

I have a feeling that won't really help with our defaults.  Those who respond will
be a self-selecting sample, and totally biased towards those admins who are
capable of cooking their own configurations.

> We could launch an e-mail discussion, or setup a Survey Monkey (but keep it SHORT!!!) or something like that.

A multiple-choice list of scenarios might tell us something.  But perhaps better
if it can grow organically, through a potted-configs subproject?

--
Nick Kew