Posted to user@beam.apache.org by amir bahmanyari <am...@yahoo.com> on 2016/09/28 19:46:13 UTC

Appropriate Spark Cluster Mode for running Beam SparkRunner apps

Hi Colleagues,I am in progress setting up Spark Cluster for running Beam SparkRunner apps.The objective is to collect performance matrices via bench-marking techniques.The Spark docs suggest the following Clustering types.Which one is the most appropriate type when it comes to performance testing Beam SparkRunner?Thanks+regardsAmir

Re: Appropriate Spark Cluster Mode for running Beam SparkRunner apps

Posted by Amit Sela <am...@gmail.com>.
I know of people running Standalone in production as well (not sure how it
scales), and to the best of my knowledge it also has a cluster mode. I only
said that I *personally* have experience with Standalone fort testing, and
YARN for production.

The main issue with the SparkRunner's README is that it relates to batch
over HDFS which is a WIP in Beam (not specific a runner). The runner will
support batch in full once https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-259 is
pushed.

As for streaming input:
Kafka is supported via Spark's custom KafkaIO, but there is a WIP on
replacing it with a fully Beam-compliant KafkaIO.
Event-time windows, triggers and accumulation modes - I'm working on
something but Spark 1.x on it's own does not support those so the behaviour
is currently Spark native behaviour which could be described as
"processing-time trigger, with discarding panes".

Hope this helps,
Amit

Posted by Amit Sela <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amir,