Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <ma...@iu.edu> on 2017/06/07 19:02:10 UTC

Using Docker images to run Thrift

Dev,

After running into difficulties getting Thrift to build on my laptop I started exploring the possibility of using Docker images to run Thrift.  I’ve created a pull request of my changes here: https://github.com/apache/airavata/pull/112

One question: I opted to just switch the scripts to using Docker, but I thought perhaps that could be a command line flag whether to use Docker or not.  My hope is that using Docker images to run Thrift will be a lot more convenient than requiring developers to install Thrift.

Your feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Marcus

Re: Using Docker images to run Thrift

Posted by Apoorv Palkar <ap...@aol.com>.
+1, IDK what thrift and/or docker are(gourav explained me), shoutout marcus for being smart.

Posted by "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <ma...@iu.edu>.
I’ve merged the branch to develop now.

By default the generate scripts will use Docker images.  If you want to keep using native thrift install you need to pass —native-thrift flag.  For example,

 ./generate-thrift-stubs.sh --native-thrift java

On Jun 7, 2017, at 3:26 PM, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>> wrote:

+ 1 for docker support and also for having an option to use native thrift install.

Suresh

On Jun 7, 2017, at 3:24 PM, Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh <go...@indiana.edu>> wrote:

+1

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy

From: "Pamidighantam, Sudhakar V" <sp...@illinois.edu>>
Date: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 3:15 PM
To: "dev@airavata.apache.org<ma...@airavata.apache.org>" <de...@airavata.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Using Docker images to run Thrift

+1 any thing to reduce manual installation and corresponding issues would be welcome. There should be testing to ensure this went through correctly and suggest practical ways to correct any shortcomings.

Thanks,
Sudhakar.
On Jun 7, 2017, at 3:02 PM, Christie, Marcus Aaron <ma...@iu.edu>> wrote:

Dev,

After running into difficulties getting Thrift to build on my laptop I started exploring the possibility of using Docker images to run Thrift.  I’ve created a pull request of my changes here: https://github.com/apache/airavata/pull/112<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_airavata_pull_112&d=DwMGaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=7_-LbDwTKOoIiO4P4OLfUTX6lSdjys9jh2AJ7sBl9ag&m=2u3SpBBzjyn7NN3G8d1tazbJep7C0rLOgsaCHKGU1j4&s=NIpbBLcoj9X2sSFvuDacfVxOI6NZhHcKFWD0AAf7Nqo&e=>

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh" <go...@indiana.edu>.
+1

Thanks and Regards,