Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Thibaut Britz <t....@netbreeze.ch> on 2007/12/11 16:51:28 UTC

public Amazon EC2 hadoop images for larger instances (m1.large and m1.xlarge)

Hi,

The current public images only work on the smaller instances.
It would be very helpful (save me some time) if someone would be so kind
create or publish their hadoop image.

Thibaut

Re: public Amazon EC2 hadoop images for larger instances (m1.large and m1.xlarge)

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
Yes - of course the different architecture means the existing image
won't work! I've created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-2411 to track this issue.
See this thread for how to take advantage of extra CPUs:
http://www.mail-archive.com/hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org/msg02377.html.

Tom

Posted by Thibaut Britz <t....@netbreeze.ch>.
Hi Tom,

Tom White wrote:

> Hi Thibaut,
>
> Do you know why the existing hadoop images don't work with larger
> instance types? What's the error message you're getting?
>
> It should be relatively easy to change the launch-hadoop-cluster
> script to specify the instance type. Also, there's some work to be
> done to configure Hadoop on larger images to take advantage of the
> extra CPUs and memory.
>
> BTW I just published a 0.15.1 AMI.
>
> Tom
>
> On 11/12/2007, Thibaut Britz <t....@netbreeze.ch> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The current public images only work on the smaller instances.
>> It would be very helpful (save me some time) if someone would be so kind
>> create or publish their hadoop image.
>>
>> Thibaut
>>
>> --

> Blog: http://problemsworthyofattack.blogspot.com/

Re: public Amazon EC2 hadoop images for larger instances (m1.large and m1.xlarge)

Posted by je...@gmail.com.
The larger images are all 64 bit, so the 32 bit binaries would be none too happy

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thibaut,