Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/10 15:21:44 UTC

Maven Group Ids

Hi All:

I find it confusing to have >1 group Id, for example in Ivy, when I tried

    <dependency org="org.apache.logging.log4j" name="log4j-api"
rev="2.0-beta4" />
    <dependency org="org.apache.logging.log4j" name="log4j-core"
rev="2.0-beta4" />
    <dependency org="org.apache.logging.log4j" name="log4j-1.2-api"
rev="2.0-beta4" />

it bombed because the 1.2 API is in "org.apache.logging.log4j.adapter" not
"org.apache.logging.log4j"

What is the point of this complication? It's bad enough we have a bunch of
jars, but multiple group ids?

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I do too.

Ralph

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Yes - the idea was to make it clear what was part of the "core" of Log4j and what are optional add-ons.   Obviously, "adapters" is not convey the correct meaning for this and we might not be having this discussion had a better word been chosen.  But segmenting the groupId this way probably doesn't do very much to convey this idea as most people only look at the groupId when they get around to creating a pom.xml.

Ralph

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@yahoo.com>.
To get back to the original discussion, would this self-check enable you to revert back to one single group ID?

________________________________

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@yahoo.com>.
No reason not to have both...

________________________________

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Group Ids

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
I like that idea.

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> I need to do a beta5 release fairly soon.  If we are going to change this
> please do it now.
>
> Ralph

Done.

Gary

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Maven Group Ids

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
On Apr 10, 2013, at 8:21 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I find it confusing to have >1 group Id, for example in Ivy, when I tried
>
>     <dependency org="org.apache.logging.log4j" name="log4j-api" rev="2.0-beta4" />
>     <dependency org="org.apache.logging.log4j" name="log4j-core" rev="2.0-beta4" />
>     <dependency org="org.apache.logging.log4j" name="log4j-1.2-api" rev="2.0-beta4" />
>
> it bombed because the 1.2 API is in "org.apache.logging.log4j.adapter" not "org.apache.logging.log4j"
>
> What is the point of this complication? It's bad enough we have a bunch of jars, but multiple group ids?
>
> Gary

I'll chime in to say, as unbinding as it may be, that I agree with Gary. Many more-complex projects have just a single groupId. Seems to me that different group IDs should exist only for unrelated functionality—in my opinion. I'm all for using the same groupId for all artifacts in Log4j 2. When I created the log4j-taglib component, I left it in the main groupId because it didn't belong in adapter (it's not an adapter ... if anything it's just another part of the API, capable of using any implementation that the primary API is capable of using).

It should be noted for anyone not already aware that log4j-1.2-api, log4j-flume-ng, log4j-jcl, and log4j-slf4j-impl all USED to be in the main groupId. They were moved to "adapters" in late 2012.