Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Solr User <so...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/06 17:10:37 UTC

How to get all the search results?

Hi,

First off thanks to the group for guiding me to move from default search
handler to dismax.

I have a question related to getting all the search results. In the past
with the default search handler I was getting all the search results (8000)
if I pass q=* as search string but with dismax I was getting only 16 results
instead of 8000 results.

How to get all the search results using dismax? Do I need to configure
anything to make * (asterisk) work?

Thanks,
Solr User

Re: How to get all the search results?

Posted by Savvas-Andreas Moysidis <sa...@googlemail.com>.
ahhh, right..in dismax, you pre-define the fields that will be searched upon
is that right? is it also true that the query is parsed and all special
characters escaped?

Posted by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
With dismax, I didn't get any results with *:*.  I did the query with
these options (q is empty) and got the full rowcount:

q=&rows=0&qt=dismax

I have q.alt defined in my dismax handler as *:*, don't know if that is
required or not.

Shawn

Posted by Solr User <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shawn,

Yes you did.

I tried and did not work so I asked the same question again.

Now I understood and tried directly on the Solr admin and I got all the
search results. I will implement the same on the website.

Thank you so much Shawn.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
You're going through your dismax query parser (how did you configure that
anyway?)
as evidenced by:

<str name="*parsedquery*">+DisjunctionMaxQuery((series:*:* | desc:*:* |
bisacsub:*:* | award:*:* | format:*:* | shortdesc:*:* | authortemp:*:*^2.0 |
author:*:*^2.0 | title:*:*^9.0 | category:*:* | isbn10:*:* | season:*:* |
imprint:*:* | subtitle:*:*^3.0 | isbn13:*:*)) ()</str>
  <str name="*parsedquery_toString*">+(series:*:* | desc:*:* | bisacsub:*:*
| award:*:* | format:*:* | shortdesc:*:* | authortemp:*:*^2.0 |
author:*:*^2.0 | title:*:*^9.0 | category:*:* | isbn10:*:* | season:*:* |
imprint:*:* | subtitle:*:*^3.0 | isbn13:*:*) ()</str>

Fielded queries are not currently supported by dismax, although I believe
eDismax (in trunk) does support them.

By the way, it'd help reading this kind of thing if you'd specify, say,
rows=1 so the
mail wasn't so long.

Best
Erick

Posted by Solr User <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

[...]

it * How to know your "publishing" rights and negotiate effectively * How to
[...]
including brand-name convenience foods and items from fast-food chains</str>
[...]
List * “Superb color photos abound in this spectacular series addition. . .
> [...]
= fieldNorm(field=shortdesc, doc=1452)</str>
   <str name="*694061*">0.0889452 = (MATCH) sum of: 0.0889452 = (MATCH) max
of: 0.0889452 = (MATCH) weight(shortdesc:* in 7186), product of: 0.07958626
= queryWeight(shortdesc:*), product of: 7.1526074 = idf(docFreq=16,
maxDocs=7989) 0.011126888 = queryNorm 1.117595 = (MATCH)
fieldWeight(shortdesc:* in 7186), product of: 2.0 =
tf(termFreq(shortdesc:*)=4) 7.1526074 = idf(docFreq=16, maxDocs=7989)
0.078125 = fieldNorm(field=shortdesc, doc=7186)</str>
   <str name="*698163*">0.087148145 = (MATCH) sum of: 0.087148145 = (MATCH)
max of: 0.087148145 = (MATCH) weight(shortdesc:* in 6328), product of:
0.07958626 = queryWeight(shortdesc:*), product of: 7.1526074 =
idf(docFreq=16, maxDocs=7989) 0.011126888 = queryNorm 1.0950149 = (MATCH)
fieldWeight(shortdesc:* in 6328), product of: 2.4494898 =
tf(termFreq(shortdesc:*)=6) 7.1526074 = idf(docFreq=16, maxDocs=7989) 0.0625

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Solr User <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Savvas-Andreas Moysidis <sa...@googlemail.com>.