Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by sn...@cob.org on 2006/06/29 23:22:13 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL and reverse proxying

Hello Everyone,

Just joined the list today.  I've used Apache HTTP Server for simple static
sites with the default configuration and am looking at using it for reverse
proxying now.  I'm a newbie and am confused about how to proceed with
enabling HTTPS to the reverse proxy server and then from the reverse proxy
server to a back end application server.  I have valid certificates for
both servers, but I'm getting lost in the documentation for allowing the
reverse proxy server to gracefully pass on HTTPS requests to the
application server so that a web browser doesn't complain about a
certificate that's not for the correct server.  Does anyone know of a good
tutorial, book, or example config file I could reference?  I tried looking
for a good Apache book that covered the basics as well as the SSL and
proxying I'm trying to accomplish for Apache 2.2 and haven't found one yet.

Thanks for any help you can pass along.  I'll be sure to reciprocate as I
learn more ;)
Steven Niedermeyer
Information Technology Services
City of Bellingham