Posted to websh-user@tcl.apache.org by "tcl@h-rd.org" <tc...@h-rd.org> on 2008/07/04 12:37:09 UTC

websh in pure tcl

Dear websh users,

Currently I am evaluating websh for use in a cgi/scgi/fastcgi
environment, thus not as an apache module.  I am wondering, is there
much of the c code of websh needed, or is it feasible to build a
tcl-only websh?  (And which parts would have to be translated from C
to tcl?)

yours,
Marc

--
tcl@h-rd.org

Re: websh in pure tcl

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
> Currently I am evaluating websh for use in a cgi/scgi/fastcgi
> environment, thus not as an apache module.  I am wondering, is there
> much of the c code of websh needed, or is it feasible to build a
> tcl-only websh?  (And which parts would have to be translated from C
> to tcl?)

Websh is almost purely C, so you'd have to implement pretty much
everything or at least whatever functionality you'd want to have.

Maybe it would make more sense to look for other implementations of
cgi helper functionality instead of reimplementing Websh in Tcl
(although certainly possible).

For me the absolute minimum necessary funcionality would be the wohle
request handling stuff (web::dispatch, web::param, web::formvar)
including URL and command generation (web::cmdurl, web::command). For
the rest: It depends what you want to do. web::putx is basicaly the
"template evaluator" so if you need to parse some HTML templates that
contain code or vice versa, some similar approach must be taken, I
guess.

hth
Ronnie
--
Projekt «Robot Team Challenge»: Wir fördern den Nachwuchs
www.informatica08.ch/robot

Ronnie Brunner | ronnie.brunner@netcetera.ch
phone +41-44-247 79 79 | fax +41-44-247 70 75
Netcetera AG | 8040 Zürich | Switzerland | http://netcetera.ch

Re: websh in pure tcl

Posted by Leon Hauck <le...@fulcrum-hosting.com>.
tcl@h-rd.org wrote:

> Currently I am evaluating websh for use in a cgi/scgi/fastcgi
> environment, thus not as an apache module.  I am wondering, is there
> much of the c code of websh needed, or is it feasible to build a
> tcl-only websh?  (And which parts would have to be translated from C to
> tcl?)

We compiled it as a CGI app (not an apache module) and have been running
it as such under apache and lighttpd.  You don't have to strip to C code
out to run it as such - it's just a configuration option.

As far as I know it doesn't support scgi/fastcgi, but I could be wrong.

FWIW the only issue I seem to have tripped up on is that if you use
Google Analytics, the cookies that it sets will break the cookie based
session handler routines in websh.  I'm guessing it has something to do
with the underscores in the cookie names, but haven't dug into it any
further.

-- Leon