Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2018/05/11 18:41:07 UTC

[DISCUSS] Configuration for local recovery

Hi!

The configuration option (in flink-conf.yaml) for local recovery is
currently an enumeration with the values "DISABLED" and "ENABLE_FILE_BASED".

I would suggest to change that, for a few reasons:

  - Having values like "ENABLE_FILE_BASED" breaks with the style of the
other config options. Having a homogeneous feel for the configuration of
the system is important for ease of use.

  - Do we need to require users to understand what file-based local
recovery means? It might be easier for users to have an option to activate
deactivate the mode (on by default in the future) and if we need to have
different modes in the future, then we can have a "mode" option as an
"expert option". That way we expose the simple fact of whether to use local
recovery or not in a simple boolean, and hide the complex tuning part
(which hopefully few users ever need to touch) in a separate option.

  - Are we sure already whether options beyond "on/off" are shared across
state backends? For example, memory snapshot based local recovery would be
specific to the Memoy/FsStateBackend. Persistent-volume based local
recovery may behave differently for RocksDB and FsStateBackend.

==>  This config option looks like it sets things up in a tricky direction.
We can still change it, now that we have not yet released it.

Best,
Stephan

Re: [DISCUSS] Configuration for local recovery

Posted by Stefan Richter <s....@data-artisans.com>.
I think that is a good idea +1.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Stephan's proposal.