Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2013/01/17 21:17:35 UTC

[VOTE] ASF Parent pom 13 and Maven parent pom 23

Hi,
I'd like to release both ASF Parent pom 13 and Maven parent pom 23

ASF Parent pom 13:
* staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheapache-142/
* diff with previous release:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/pom/tags/apache-13/pom.xml?r1=HEAD&r2=1404788&diff_format=h

Maven Parent pom 23:
* staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-143/
* diff with previous release:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/pom/tags/maven-parent-23/pom.xml?r1=HEAD&r2=1371599&diff_format=h

Vote open for 72H
[+1]
[0]
[-1]

Thanks
--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] ASF Parent pom 13 and Maven parent pom 23

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@infinity.nu>.
+1

--Brian (mobile)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Damn, how did I miss that

Changing my vote to

-0.5

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 12:03:46 +0100
"Robert Scholte" <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is the intended behavior.
> For instance, if you change a method signature of a class, only this class
> would be recompiled in the old situation, causing a false positive:
> classes depending on this method should be recompiled as well. For that
> reason most users run "mvn clean install", where they should only need to
> run "mvn verify", especially in huge multimodule projects.
I can understand that, and now things are more clear to me, thanks Robert.

I am waiting then the http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCOMPILER-188 :)

> But the m-compiler-p seems to be a bit too aggressive sometimes, although
> more reliable AFAIK.

Yes and there is still the generation case problem, but I think this will be soon
ok (or already is, Oliver did something on this point if I remember well).

> Robert
>
> Op Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:15:12 +0100 schreef Tony Chemit
> <ch...@codelutin.com>:
>
> > On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:11:31 +0100
> > Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com> wrote:

> >> each time there is a single modification inside it.

> >> No when a java file was modified in a module, then the whole module is
> >> recompiled. The message is: Changes detected - recompiling the module!
> > I just check doing a touch on a single java file, and the whole module
> > was recompiled :(. But may-be this is the desired behaviour (perso I
> > don't understand why and I don't like this, just really want to avoid
> > recompiling all my classes each time I touch a single one).
> >
> > If it is a defect, told me I will fill something about it.
> >

> > tony

Tony Chemit

Re: [VOTE] ASF Parent pom 13 and Maven parent pom 23

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Yes, exactly as Robert explained.

Previously to this change we created broken JARs.
People always had to do mvn clean install :/

We will continue working on this area. The goal is that a mvn verify on a project creates reliable results and only does the work it really needs to do. Though in general it's better to compile a bit too much than to create broken JARs imo ...

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.
On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 16:46:09 +0100
Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> 2013/1/19 Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>:
> > On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:17:35 +0100
> > Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > +0.
> >
> > m-compiler-p to 3.0 is it a real good idea ?
> >
> > I tried it, and it did not pleased me to recompile all a module each time there is a single modification inside it.
> >

> You mean if module B depends on A, change in A -> module B recompiled
> ?

No when a java file was modified in a module, then the whole module is recompiled. The message is: Changes detected - recompiling the module!

If you have some generation, everything is then also rebuild even if no generated java classes were changed.

Finally, in Mojo I was told not to upgrade mojo-parent with this...

Once again perhaps I am wrong, if so sorry for the noise.

tony.

--
Tony Chemit

Re: [VOTE] ASF Parent pom 13 and Maven parent pom 23

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
I agree. I think 2.5.1 of the m-compiler-p is a better choice.

/Anders

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1