Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Matthew Forder <fo...@ams.neth.seagate.com> on 2001/08/15 17:23:19 UTC

Multiple Languages

Does anyone have any good tips or tricks on how to implement turbine
applications that have to display their web pages in multiple languages?
I have a requirement to build a simple application that can display its
interface in Dutch (ugh!  =;o) ) or English, and I'm sure somebody out
there must have run into similar problems and has already come up with a
nifty solution.

Any light you shed on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

--
   ____  | Matthew J. Forder         | Data Center Supervisor
  / / () | Seagate Techology         | Tel:+31 20 316 7468

Re: Multiple Languages

Posted by Gunnar Rønning <gu...@polygnosis.com>.
* "John Colvin" <jc...@openconnect.ie> wrote:

| Hi
| The problem with this was that the system was to run in Switzerland which
| has 3 languages. Each client PC or whatever could have been used by people
| who speak French,German or Italian depending on their preference, this was
| why a default language was in the users record in the database as the
| browser may be configured for a different language.

Same issue here. The accept language header is not useful.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

Re: Multiple Languages

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@apache.org>.
> I have devloped an application, though, not in turbine that had 3
> languages
> associated with it.

[...]
> String lang = (String) session.getAttribute("UserLanguage");
> Properties props = (Properties)
> session.getAttribute("LangaugeProperties");

> String title = props.getProperty(lang  + "_TITLE");

I don't understand why you did this instead of using the Turbine
localization service ? Is there any reason ?

The localization service allows you to pick up the right bundle based on a
locale and even the Accept-Language header. As a standard the localization
for bundles follow a naming pattern with region and language and fallback to

Re: Multiple Languages

Posted by Kasper Nielsen <ne...@kav.dk>.
Posted by John Colvin <jc...@openconnect.ie>.
Hi
I have devloped an application, though, not in turbine that had 3 languages
associated with it.
We created a Properties file that contained properties similar to this :

DE_TITLE=Title in german

FR_TITLE=Title in French

EN_TITLE=Title in English

These properties were read in added to the session. When a user logged in
they had a language field in the User table which was added to that users
session upon login.

I suggest in Turbine that in the doBuildTemplate method of the template in
question you retrieve the elements from the properties and place them into
the context.

String lang = (String) session.getAttribute("UserLanguage");
Properties props = (Properties) session.getAttribute("LangaugeProperties");

String title = props.getProperty(lang  + "_TITLE");

Then add this to the context
context.put("title",Title);

Now in your template you can display the title in the language of the
current user.

I know this may not be a very elegant solution but it worked and the
customer was very happy with the solution.

Rgrds
John

Re: Multiple Languages

Posted by Emile Kok <em...@toughguy.net>.
agreed, templates should possibly have a language root qualified by the
user language profile, the data being presented is a different story,
redundancy not being a good idea.

regards
Emile

Re: Multiple Languages

Posted by Heiko Braun <he...@fork.de>.

Re: Multiple Languages

Posted by Emile Kok <em...@toughguy.net>.
Hi guys,

Re: Multiple Languages

Posted by Matthew Forder <fo...@ams.neth.seagate.com>.
Albi,

I think what you describe should be more than sufficient..anything that's gets
me heading in the right direction would help as I've never had to develop a
mulit-language application before!!

Thanks and regards,

Matt
+--