Posted to user@struts.apache.org by bOOyah <bo...@nowhere.org> on 2004/04/26 23:14:41 UTC

Session timeout: what is the default for Struts apps?

Hello all.

My Struts' app's web.xml file doesn't have a session timeout declared in
  it.  What I'd like to know is:

(1) Since there _is_ most definitely a session timeout occuring, there
must be a default value.  What is it and where is it set if not the
web.xml file?

(2) Can I declare my own session timeout value by setting the session
timeout in web.xml?

(3) Does a timeout value of -1 disable session expiration?

Nice 'n' easy.

Thanks.

--
bOOyah

Re: Session timeout: what is the default for Struts apps?

Posted by Hernan Soulages <he...@epidataconsulting.com>.
Your container probably has a default timeout for sessions. I'm using
Tomcat and it has the default timeout in TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml
Tomcat uses all the settings in that file as defaults. It overrides the
defaults with the app's web.xml for each app.
I don't know if you can disable timeout (I supose you should) but putting
a very high value in timeout should get the same effect.

Regards
Hernan

Posted by bOOyah <bo...@nowhere.org>.
Josh Holtzman wrote:
> Booyah,
>
> To declare the session timeout place this in your web.xml file after the
> servlet mappings.
>
> <session-config>
>     <session-timeout>
>             30
>         </session-timeout>
>   </session-config>
>
> I'm not sure about the -1 value.

Do you know how to 'turn off' session timeouts?

Posted by bOOyah <bo...@nowhere.org>.

Posted by Josh Holtzman <jh...@americandatacompany.com>.
Booyah,

To declare the session timeout place this in your web.xml file after the
servlet mappings.

<session-config>
    <session-timeout>
            30