Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> on 2007/05/03 18:07:42 UTC

[Proposal] Apache MyFaces commons

Greetings from the ApacheCon in Amsterdam.

It was discussed a lot on the list and Bernd and I are now taking the
time to layout a "apache-myfaces-commons-[SUBSET]-VERSION.jar" file.

Commons:
-What should go into a commons JAR?
Non renderKit related things like
  -Converters and Validators
  -NonFacesRequestServlet from Tobago
  -FacesContextFactory from Tobago to ensure a kind of common layer
for doing uploads
  -the selectItems component from Tomahawk
  -what are we missing ???

Build dependencies:
  - Trinidad's plugins/utils to generate stuff like the TagClass file.

The vision:
 Why this is needed ?
It is kind of hard to actually use only some "common" pieces of
Tomahawk. At least to add a custom validator, the complete jar is
needed. The vision is also to add some "common" pieces from
Trinidad/tobago to it.

For Tomahawk this will not mean, you have to introduce a new namespace
for adding the converter/validator, the "commons-jar" can be a rt
dependency so that the TLD file is only referencing to the classes
w/in the commons.jar.

What are you missing ?
We will compile a list into the MyFaces wiki, based on your feedback/comments

-Bernd/Matthias

Re: [Proposal] Apache MyFaces commons

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> Someone (forget who) was suggesting that the faces Maven
> plugin (currently in Trinidad) should be part of Commons.
> Obviously, a Maven plugin lives in its own JAR.  I'm OK
> with having shared build tools in a common SVN tree,
> just so it's clearer for someone working on the project.
> Make sense?

I was trying to say, that for the build of the commons, we should
*use* the maven plugins.
Not sure what I wrote to let is sound like *integrate* it into the commons-jar.

-M

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: [Proposal] Apache MyFaces commons

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 5/4/07, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > - Are we looking to define internal utilities shared among
> >   Trinidad/Tomahawk/Tobago?
>
> yes that's my understanding
>
> > - Are we looking to define public APIs shared among these
> >   projects?
>
> yes common api for these projects but not necessarily immutable
>
> > - Are we going to have a common package name for all
> >   such code?
>
> +1
>
> > IMO, we should:
> >  - Have no components at all in here, at least to start,
> >    whether or not they render markup.
>
> Definitely +1
>
> >  - Use a common package name
>
> +1
>
> >  - Be very cautious and slow as we build this up, being *really*
> >    sure about the APIs we're adding.  This should be a foundational
> >    stone for a long time.
>
> +1 for go slow
>
> >  - Start enforcing a public vs. private API split for real, and
> >    be rigorous about when we change public APIs without
> >    preserving backwards compatibility.
>
> +0
>
> it would be nice to have stable public API but i don't think that its
> the end of the world if its not stable.  primary purpose of this (imo)
> is to promote consolidation and harmony amongst myfaces subprojects.

For some customers (who write certain paychecks :) ), unstable
public APIs *are* the end of the world, in that changed APIs
mean they can't upgrade.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> - Are we looking to define internal utilities shared among
>   Trinidad/Tomahawk/Tobago?

yes that's my understanding

> - Are we looking to define public APIs shared among these
>   projects?

yes common api for these projects but not necessarily immutable

> - Are we going to have a common package name for all
>   such code?

+1

> IMO, we should:
>  - Have no components at all in here, at least to start,
>    whether or not they render markup.

Definitely +1

>  - Use a common package name

+1

>  - Be very cautious and slow as we build this up, being *really*
>    sure about the APIs we're adding.  This should be a foundational
>    stone for a long time.

+1 for go slow

>  - Start enforcing a public vs. private API split for real, and
>    be rigorous about when we change public APIs without
>    preserving backwards compatibility.

+0

it would be nice to have stable public API but i don't think that its
the end of the world if its not stable.  primary purpose of this (imo)
is to promote consolidation and harmony amongst myfaces subprojects.

> Also, I don't think build dependencies belong in here, at least
> not in terms of a packaged JAR.  Whether they live in
> a "commons" in terms of SVN locations is fine.

not sure what this refers to.  please explain.

> -- Adam

sean

Re: [Proposal] Apache MyFaces commons

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Adam,

I was repeating what'd been said before rather than stating an opinion.

However, after thinking about it a little, I think there's two
different products we're talking about.

One product, CommonComponents, is targeted for general JSF developers.
  It's stuff that can easily be used in any project no matter what the
rendering kit or other component sets.  These people may never create
a component on their own, and theoretically may not even be Java
programmers -- they may be page designers.  The "API" for these items
are simply the available attributes on the components.

The other product, CommonAPI, is targeted at component developers.
It's code APIs that allow someone to more quickly and consistently
develop new components.   There's nothing here that would directly be
used in an application.   The api here has to be far more carefully
considered.

Obviously, these are glaring generalizations, and there's bound to be
some overlap.

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

This array of modules makes my head go wwwwwwwrrrr..

Yeah mine too:)

 I agree with the idea of having non rendering components in commons jar at
first. Also it'd be good if we move the overlapping features in
trinidad,tomahawk and tobago to this commons module like subform. So we
don't keep reinventing the wheel.

Cagatay
Coast Guard

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Adam,

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi,

2007/5/3, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>:
> On 5/3/07, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It should also include t:saveState.   Possibly t:aliasBean (havent
> > used it myself).
>
> +1

+1

> > Maybe verison of t:dataList (the "simple" mode) that doesn't render
> > state?   This one is more of a stretch, I expect, but an enhanced
> > component iterator would be a good thing in commons.
>
> isn't that guy rendering somewhat HTML ?

should be no problem to implement a kind of forEach based on UIData if
the t:dataList
did not fit the commons requirements.

> > > What are you missing ?
> > > We will compile a list into the MyFaces wiki, based on your feedback/comments

There is already a wiki page according to this project:
http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/ComponentsCommons

Regards,
    Volker

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
And how about getting subForm into commons?  I know that there's a
subForm in Trinidad, Tomahawk, and Tobago.   Seems pretty "common" to
me, although I don't know if it's possible to do this one in a
non-rendering library.

Perhaps this one should be saved for Tomahawk2.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On 5/3/07, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It should also include t:saveState.   Possibly t:aliasBean (havent
> used it myself).

+1

> Maybe verison of t:dataList (the "simple" mode) that doesn't render
> state?   This one is more of a stretch, I expect, but an enhanced
> component iterator would be a good thing in commons.

isn't that guy rendering somewhat HTML ?

> Are the client-side validation parts of the validators going to cause
> issues with a commons library, or can just the "server-side" part of
> the validators be in commons?

first I think "only" server-side. I'd also like to see Trinidad's
client-side Converter/Validator support in a commons JAR.

> I haven't looked at how this was implemented.

thanks for your feedback!
-Matthias

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.