Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Hanish Bansal <ha...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/17 07:52:42 UTC

Ranger 0.5 Source location

Hi All,

As mentioned in installation guide (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Apache+Ranger+0.5.0+Installation)
of Ranger 0.5, there is no binary available for ranger and we have to build
from source.

The command mentioned to build from source is:
git clone https://github.com/apache/incubator-ranger.git

I have few queries regarding source location of ranger 0.5 and 0.6.
Looking at above git location, it seems to be of master branch that has
some new major features like tag based policies etc. We want to use
officially released Ranger 0.5 so what is git location for that?

Github branch for 0.5
https://github.com/apache/incubator-ranger/commits/ranger-0.5 is also
having regular commits, probably same as master branch. Is there any
specific location from which we can checkout source of ranger of 0.5?

Our target is use apache ranger 0.5 that should also be compatible with HDP
2.3.

--
*Thanks & Regards*
*Hanish Bansal*

Re: Ranger 0.5 Source location

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
@Hanish, the documentation is incorrect. We should be using branch ranger-0.5 for Apache Ranger 0.5.

@Dilli, I agree with you. We should standardize the release branch and subsequent dot (patch) release branches.

Seems 0.5 branch has been free flowing for sometime,  can we plan to release 0.5.1 with what we have so far. This might be also a good cut-off because Kafka is going to their 0.9 release and we need to enable Ranger for it.

Thanks

Bosco

From:  Dilli Dorai <di...@gmail.com>
Date:  Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 1:52 PM
To:  <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: Ranger 0.5 Source location

Hanish,

FYI.
Raised concerns along similar lines on dev list on noticing large commits going into ranger-0.5 branch, anticipating problems like you have.

Reviewing the following thread on dev mailing might help you.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ranger-dev/201511.mbox/%3c566739AC-B2F9-4D3A-9F2A-19F2C8ABA0B7@hortonworks.com%3e

Thanks
Dilli

Posted by Dilli Dorai <di...@gmail.com>.