Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Alistair McDonald <Al...@non.hp.com> on 2001/02/09 13:27:22 UTC

"Threading" on Win32

Hi.

I'm running Apache 1.3.14, mod_perl 1.24_02 on Windows 2000 sp1, but
I've seen this problem on other Win32 platforms.

Basically, no matter how many "threads" are set up in httpd.conf, when a
mod_perl URL is retreived, my apache will not service any other URLs
until the mod_perl URL is finished.

Apache on its own is OK, I can (say) download two 4MB files
simultaneously, but as soon as any mod_perl process gets going, all new
URLS "hang" until it completes.  If a long download is going on and the
mod_perl process starts, then the long download carries on AND the
mod_perl one works, but any new URL doesn't get serviced, whether
mod_perl or not.

I'm running with the pre-built ActiveState perl (5.6.0; build 618), and
the pre-built mod_perl at ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/ (made
by Randy Kobes), but I've seen this with a perl and a mod_perl that I've
compiled myself, running on NT4.0.

Is this a known problem, and are there any workarounds?  I'd be grateful
for any info.

Cheers,
Alistair