Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Darin Ginther <dg...@broadjump.com> on 2002/11/05 22:14:49 UTC

[users@httpd] directory listings vanish in directories that contain .htaccess

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to Apache, but I have RTFM, searched google, and have actually read the archives regarding most of the apache posts.  If anyone can help me with this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Apache 2.0.40 on RH 7.3.

Basically, I'm password protecting some directories using .htaccess files:

http://myserver/myfolder

Such a url results in a box pop-up and the user is prompted for a password.

The problem is, that under
http://myserver

I can see ALL folders except for the one with the .htaccess file in it... That is "myfolder" isn't listed in the index any longer.

Since I RTFM, I made sure of the following:
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks Indexes
    AllowOverride AuthConfig Options
</Directory>

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride AuthConfig Options
</Directory>

I even went so far as to include the following in my .htaccess:
Options +Indexes

Still, this folder doesn't show up off of DocumentRoot as a listed directory.  If I remove the .htaccess file, it shows up just fine... Any ideas?

-D. ginther

Re: [users@httpd] directory listings vanish in directories that contain .htaccess

Posted by Chris Taylor <ch...@x-bb.org>.

Yeah, this is an Apache 2 feature unfortunately. It pre-checks each
dir for a response code, the protected ones will return 403
(forbidden) because of how this works. There is no way around it
using the Apache directory engine, although I did request a while
back that this be turned into an option, not a standard thing.

The only fallback is Apache 1.3, which (AFAIK) doesn't have this
issue. I used it until 1.3.26 anyway, and it was fine then.

HTH.

Chris Taylor - chris@x-bb.org - The guy with the PS2 WebServer -
http://www.x-bb.org/chris.asc

RE: [users@httpd] directory listings vanish in directories that contain .htaccess

Posted by Jonathan Villa <ap...@ftbwebsolutions.com>.
Sounds like you just want to show your directory.

Try this:

Create a non protected directory and place an html file in it which
simply redirects to the folder which is protected.