Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by shetc <sh...@bellsouth.net> on 2012/02/07 20:57:07 UTC

Wicket in a Dot Net World

Well friends, it's happened -- the company I work for has been bought by a
larger competitor. Sadly, the new bosses prefer to work with .NET

I don't suppose anyone has ported Wicket to .NET?

RE: Wicket in a Dot Net World

Posted by Wilhelmsen Tor Iver <To...@arrive.no>.
> I don't suppose anyone has ported Wicket to .NET?

What, and lose all the "non-designable" ASP.Net or Razor goodness? :)

- Tor Iver

Re: Wicket in a Dot Net World

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Ohh crap. :( thats bad. The worst part are it being closed source. For me
it would mean changing jobs. Theres just too many things. Build server unit
testing version control etc are a whole new thing. Just in those things a
huge investment buying licenses (afaik all are $/commercial in ms land) .
After that the porting of code can begin. Its gonna be expensive. Ask if he
has calculated the roi on it, if not get a. Net consultant to help on a
rough estimate and put a little on the top to be sure..

Regards

RE: Wicket in a Dot Net World

Posted by Jeffrey Schneller <je...@envisa.com>.
I know it is overly simplistic but you can almost think of the .aspx and the .aspx.c code-behind file as the .html and the .java file in Wicket if it will make you feel any better.  It is not that simple but it is quick way that our junior .NET developers can relate to what the Java folks do in Wicket.

In the end .NET at least C# is very similar to Java so it is a somewhat easy learning curve [if you need to make the switch].  Learning how to use all the assorted and at times overly complex controls is a much steeper learning curve.  Not to be a Microsoft fanboy [which I am not] but if done right (and very few are) a .NET site can be very clean and elegant in terms of the code architecture.

Jeff

RE: Wicket in a Dot Net World

Posted by Hielke Hoeve <Hi...@topicus.nl>.
I have spend about 100 hours in creating a Wicket 1.3 port. Because half of Wicket consists of anonymous classes it is near impossible. I had to add about 1000 new subclasses to get the core to work. When it compiled and actually wanted to start and bind to a port I was unable to get the pages to render. Because these 2 languages are so completely different it is not easy and it will mean that Wicket apps will be completely different to Wicket.NET apps.

Major problems I encountered:
property files not supported
threading impl works differently
anonymous classes not supported

biggest frustration: finding compatible dependencies... There is a proper maven like system for .NET now but back then they all sucked.

Hielke

Re: Wicket in a Dot Net World

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
http://www.ikvm.net/

Good luck :-)

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:57 PM, shetc <sh...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Well friends, it's happened -- the company I work for has been bought by a
> larger competitor. Sadly, the new bosses prefer to work with .NET
>
> I don't suppose anyone has ported Wicket to .NET?

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development
http://jWeekend.com