Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by st...@sixty4bit.com on 2003/10/15 02:55:02 UTC

Nested-EL

Back in September, David Karr was threatening to do Tiles-EL and Nested-EL.  I
see that the Tiles-EL has been committed, sweet.  Nested-EL seems to be
missing.  David, have you started working on Nested-EL?  If so, how far off is
it from being complete?  If not, do you have any tips, because I am getting
started on it tonight.

Carl

Re: Nested-EL

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
struts@sixty4bit.com wrote:
> Understood.  I have all of the classes written. The TLD is looking a little
> daunting.  From my studies it appears that the tld is generated from an xml
> file that is run through an xsl stylesheet.  If you want the classes, I can
> send them to you.

Yes, that's true. But it may not be as difficult to work with the XML
you might imagine. Try copying a likely suspect for a template, and then
run the Ant compile.website target .. Instant TLD.

-Ted.

Re: Nested-EL

Posted by st...@sixty4bit.com.
David,

Re: Nested-EL

Posted by "David M. Karr" <dm...@earthlink.net>.

    struts> Back in September, David Karr was threatening to do Tiles-EL and Nested-EL.  I
    struts> see that the Tiles-EL has been committed, sweet.  Nested-EL seems to be
    struts> missing.  David, have you started working on Nested-EL?  If so, how far off is
    struts> it from being complete?  If not, do you have any tips, because I am getting
    struts> started on it tonight.

No, I haven't started on it yet.  However, realize that the library that I
would build might not be what you're looking for.  The only result of building
an "-el" library is that any tag attribute values can use the EL to specify the
value, as opposed to JSP expression scriptlets.  In general, the EL library
would not add or delete any attributes, or add any basic architectural
functionality.

dmkarr@earthlink.net   ; SCJP; SCWCD; SCBCD

Re: Nested-EL

Posted by st...@sixty4bit.com.
David,

To give you a technical answer: Kinda.

If there was a way for JSTL to reach in and grab the info that the nested tags
are holding (IE Pass the contents of <nested:writeNesting />) then I don't
think you would need Nested-EL.  Or, if all of the nested tags worked like
<nested:write /> where it assumes you are trying to get the latest nested:nest
property.

I want to do <nested:select> but the select requires a property.  Which the
best way for me to specify would be EL, because I don't always know what the
name of the property is going to be.

So, the plan is to pass in the name of the property through <jsp:param> which
EL can then grab:
<nested-el:select property="${param.fieldName}">
</nested-el:select>

Alternatives are welcome...

Carl

Re: Nested-EL