Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Brad O'Hearne <ca...@megapathdsl.net> on 2001/03/09 11:17:56 UTC

Scope of Xerces-J code base

I have what is probably a very stupid question, but it is for getting my
bearings on the scope of the Xerces-J developers code domain:  In the Xerces
API, I see the following packages:

1) javax.xml.parsers
2) org.apache.html.dom
3) org.apache.wml
4) org.apache.wml.dom
5) org.apache.xerces.dom
6) org.apache.xerces.dom.events
7) org.apache.xerces.framework
8) org.apache.xerces.parsers
9) org.apache.xml.serialize
10) org.w3c.dom
11) org.w3c.dom.events
12) org.w3c.dom.html
13) org.w3c.dom.range
14) org.w3c.dom.traversal
15) org.xml.sax
16) org.xml.sax.ext
17) org.xml.sax.helpers

My question is basically who owns what as far as code above?  Obviously, 1)
is Sun.  2)-9) are Apache affiliated, but are only 5)-8) the responsibility
of the Xerces-J group?  Does the Xerces-J group control more?  Less?  What
group(s) within Apache has jursidiction over 2)-4) and 9)?

Another probably stupid question, but does the W3C have their own dev group
that have created 11)-14)?  Finally, are the 15)-17) packages the Dave
Megginson contributions?

Just wanted to be clear on what the scope of the code base was that the
Xerces-J group was responsible for.  Thanks for your help in advance.

BradO

RE: Scope of Xerces-J code base

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <ca...@megapathdsl.net>.
Thanks Ted!

> I have what is probably a very stupid question, but it is for getting my
> bearings on the scope of the Xerces-J developers code domain:  In the
Xerces
> API, I see the following packages:
>
> 1) javax.xml.parsers
> 2) org.apache.html.dom
> 3) org.apache.wml
> 4) org.apache.wml.dom
> 5) org.apache.xerces.dom
> 6) org.apache.xerces.dom.events
> 7) org.apache.xerces.framework
> 8) org.apache.xerces.parsers
> 9) org.apache.xml.serialize
> 10) org.w3c.dom
> 11) org.w3c.dom.events
> 12) org.w3c.dom.html
> 13) org.w3c.dom.range
> 14) org.w3c.dom.traversal
> 15) org.xml.sax
> 16) org.xml.sax.ext
> 17) org.xml.sax.helpers
>
> My question is basically who owns what as far as code above?  Obviously,
1)
> is Sun.  2)-9) are Apache affiliated, but are only 5)-8) the
responsibility
> of the Xerces-J group?  Does the Xerces-J group control more?  Less?  What
> group(s) within Apache has jursidiction over 2)-4) and 9)?

1. The JAXP API's are owned by Sun
2 -9 Are the responsibility of the Xerces-J project.  2,3, & 9 are
contributions that were accepted
in addition to the IBM XML4J code base
10-14 are controlled/owned by the W3C and are the product of the DOM working
grup
15-17 are SAX which is controlled by Megginson and collaboratively developed
on XML-DEV.  Megginson has stated
his intent to step down as the shepherd for SAX, and some discussions have
taken place on where
SAX will live in the future but nothing has been decided.

> Another probably stupid question, but does the W3C have their own dev
group
> that have created 11)-14)?  Finally, are the 15)-17) packages the Dave
> Megginson contributions?
>
> Just wanted to be clear on what the scope of the code base was that the
> Xerces-J group was responsible for.  Thanks for your help in advance.

We are able to modify any of the above packages under org.apache

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.