Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jeffrey Melloy <jm...@visualdistortion.org> on 2002/12/08 06:17:22 UTC

Commit behavior.

As I was working today, I noticed a feature that might be a welcome
change.
When committing, you can specify which files and/or directories to
commit.  What might be nicer is the ability to do the reverse, too:
specify which directories to exclude.  This way, if changes are in
several states at the same time, and there are several directories
affected, it might be easier to list directories to not include in the
commit.

If this feature already exists and I missed it as I was skimming the
man pages, just let me know.

Jeffrey Melloy

Re: Commit behavior.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Jeffrey Melloy <jm...@visualdistortion.org> writes:
> As I was working today, I noticed a feature that might be a welcome
> change.
> When committing, you can specify which files and/or directories to
> commit.  What might be nicer is the ability to do the reverse, too:
> specify which directories to exclude.  This way, if changes are in
> several states at the same time, and there are several directories
> affected, it might be easier to list directories to not include in the
> commit.
>
> If this feature already exists and I missed it as I was skimming the
> man pages, just let me know.

It doesn't exist, and imho it's not worth the trouble it would take to
implement and maintain it.  It's more properly a function of the shell
anyway (not that I can think of any shell that offers this feature, of
course :-) ).

Seriously: there are many command-line techniques that work around
this problem, and I think our best course is to let people use those.
(For example, I usually do 'svn st' in an Emacs shell buffer, erase
the files I'm not interested in, and commit the rest.  This is
equivalent to the feature you describe, except that the Subversion
developers don't have to maintain it :-) ).