Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Bryan Noll <bn...@virtuas.com> on 2006/04/10 11:05:13 UTC

Simplest Portlet

It could be that my brain is fried because its so late... but I am not
having any luck getting the simplest portlet example to work.  Has
anyone gotten this thing to go?
(http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/guides/guide-simple-portlet.html)
I found a message in the archives where the guy was having the exact
same problem that I was, but never got a definitive answer, or at least
not one that worked for me.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/portals-jetspeed-user/200603.mbox/browser

Basically, following the code/xml/psml example on the Simplest Portlet
page verbatim produces a war that I deploy to
$JETSPEED_HOME/webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/deploy/.  Tailing the catalina
log shows no errors, and I see logging that would indicate it deployed
just fine.  Then, I try to pull up
http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portal/simplest.psml in the browser, and
it simply pulls up the default jetspeed page, same as if I would've gone
to http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portal.  I don't see the text that was
written specifically for this portlet anywhere... "A very simple portlet."

Shouldn't I be seeing that text?  Or am I missing something.  Again, no
exceptions or complaining in terms of errors in the logs or anything
like that anywhere.  Any possible ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--
+-------------------------------

Re: Simplest Portlet

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@gmail.com>.
You can't get a portlet to display unless there is some portal page
that includes it.  You can either copy  out the psml as you have done,
or you can use the jetspeed administrative interfaces (the page
manager I believe) to create a page and include that portlet.

Re: Simplest Portlet

Posted by Bryan Noll <bn...@virtuas.com>.
Hopefully someone can reap the rewards of my dumb mistake.  If you look
at that psml file I attached previously, you'll notice that it is
malformed.  It is missing the '<' as the first character.  Once I put
that in, all is well.

Hit me on the head with a tackhammer.

"Ya know what? If you don't know how to use your seatbelt, just ring
your call button and Tommy will come back there and hit you on the head
with a tackhammer because you are a retard."

+-------------------------------

Re: Simplest Portlet

Posted by Bryan Noll <bn...@virtuas.com>.
Here's the file.

+-------------------------------
+-------------------------------

Re: Simplest Portlet

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Bryan,

Re: Simplest Portlet

Posted by Bryan Noll <bn...@virtuas.com>.

+-------------------------------

Re: Simplest Portlet

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bryan,

Try seeing if the portlet shows up in the Jetspeed administrator.
Either in the Portlet Application Manager (PAM) or try adding a
portlet to a page using the Portlet selector. This can be done when in
page edit mode.

The psml file does not belong in the simplest.war. It won't hurt to
put it there but it will serve no purpose.

On 4/10/06, Bryan Noll <bn...@virtuas.com> wrote:
> Thanks David.
>
> I gave that a go and still nothing.  It would seem weird to me that
> you'd be forced to take a file that belongs bundled in the war and
> individually move it out to a different location in jetspeed.  It seems
> like at least 3 people have run into this issue, probably more.
>
> Has anyone else ran into this issue and then resolved it?  I'm sure its
> something I'm doing, I'd just like to hear what it is...
>
> gexiangdong@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I met this probelem a few days agao too.
> > It worked after I copy the "simplest.psml" file to the
> > webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/pages folder, It worked.
> > I'm not sure my method is right, but it really worked on my machine.
> > Hope be helpfule for you.
> >
> > David

Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy