Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Ryan <mr...@moreover.com> on 2014/07/22 04:50:51 UTC

DocValues without re-index?

Is it possible to use DocValues on an existing index without first re-indexing?

-Michael

Re: DocValues without re-index?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/22/2014 6:14 AM, Michael Ryan wrote:
> I mean re-adding all of the documents in my index. The DocValues wiki page says that this is necessary, but I wanted to know if there was a way around it.

If your index meets the strict criteria for Atomic Updates, you could
"update" all the documents by setting one field to the value it's
already got.

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/Atomic_Updates#Caveats_and_Limitations

If the index does not meet the requirements for Atomic Updates, then
you'll need to completely reindex after adding docValues to a field.
Features that use docValues (like sorting and facets) will not work on
that field until you reindex.  As I understand it, those features cannot
fall back to indexed values.

It sounds like you already know about what this page says:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToReindex

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: DocValues without re-index?

Posted by Michael Ryan <mr...@moreover.com>.

I'm sure you are aware about binary/number DocValues updates, but it works for existing column strides. I can guess you are talking about something like sidecar index http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h3ax5Wmxpk

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

<http://www.griddynamics.com>