Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Gyula Fóra <gy...@apache.org> on 2022/07/20 09:47:24 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Flink Kubernetes Operator Release 1.1.0, release candidate #1

Hi everyone,

Please review and vote on the release candidate #1 for the version 1.1.0 of
Apache Flink Kubernetes Operator,
as follows:
[ ] +1, Approve the release
[ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

**Release Overview**

As an overview, the release consists of the following:
a) Kubernetes Operator canonical source distribution (including the
Dockerfile), to be deployed to the release repository at dist.apache.org
b) Kubernetes Operator Helm Chart to be deployed to the release repository
at dist.apache.org
c) Maven artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository
d) Docker image to be pushed to dockerhub

**Staging Areas to Review**

The staging areas containing the above mentioned artifacts are as follows,
for your review:
* All artifacts for a,b) can be found in the corresponding dev repository
at dist.apache.org [1]
* All artifacts for c) can be found at the Apache Nexus Repository [2]
* The docker image for d) is staged on github [3]

All artifacts are signed with the key
0B4A34ADDFFA2BB54EB720B221F06303B87DAFF1 [4]

Other links for your review:
* JIRA release notes [5]
* source code tag "release-1.1.0-rc1" [6]
* PR to update the website Downloads page to include Kubernetes Operator
links [7]

**Vote Duration**

The voting time will run for at least 72 hours.
It is adopted by majority approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

**Note on Verification**

You can follow the basic verification guide here[8].
Note that you don't need to verify everything yourself, but please make
note of what you have tested together with your +- vote.

Thanks,
Gyula Fora

[1]
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flink/flink-kubernetes-operator-1.1.0-rc1/
[2] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1518/
[3] ghcr.io/apache/flink-kubernetes-operator:c9dec3f
[4] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/flink/KEYS
[5]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315522&version=12351723
[6]
https://github.com/apache/flink-kubernetes-operator/tree/release-1.1.0-rc1
[7] https://github.com/apache/flink-web/pull/560
[8]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Verifying+a+Flink+Kubernetes+Operator+Release

RE: [VOTE] Apache Flink Kubernetes Operator Release 1.1.0, release candidate #1

Posted by Jim Busche <jb...@us.ibm.com>.
Thank you Gyula,

+1 (non-binding)

Successfully verified the following:

  *   Helm install of RC1 on OpenShift 4.8.43 and 4.10.18
  *   Checksums, GPG signatures look good
  *   Deployed some examples, looks good, nothing strange in logs.
  *   Port-forward of the rest UI looked good
  *   Rebuilt the image from source, looks good, and helm installed utilizing this image on OpenShift.
  *   Vulnerability scan looks good, except for the okhttp mentioned previously which is internal and likely not a concern.

Jim

Re: [VOTE] Apache Flink Kubernetes Operator Release 1.1.0, release candidate #1

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Verified the following:
 - Helm repo contents, image reference
 - Upgrade from 1.0.1 with running Deployments and SessionJobs to 1.1.0
without problems
 - Run a few examples, verify logs, basic metrics, CR status, events

Cheers,
Gyula

Posted by Márton Balassi <ba...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Successfully verified the following:
- Checksums and gpg signatures
- No binaries in source release
- Build from source, build image from source
- Helm Repo works, Helm install works
- Notice files look good
- Upgraded a cluster from 1.0.0 and run some examples

Specifically for FLINK-28637<
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-28637>: Thank you for reporting
it, Jim. Fortunately both the Fabric8 and the JOSDK community was very
responsive, this gives a path for fixing this. However given the following:

1. The HTTP client is internal to the operator, this vulnerability is very
unlikely to affect it,
2. We also need to bump the dependency within the Flink native k8s
integration,
3. We need extensive testing to make sure the new dependency version
behaves properly,

My suggestion is to release 1.1.0 with this as a known issue and fix it in
1.1.1. That said we can merge a fix for it to the release-1.1 as soon as
possible, so folks who are prohibited to use the 1.1.0 version can roll
their own image from source.

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Busche <jb...@us.ibm.com>.
Thanks for the release

Posted by Yang Wang <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Successfully verified the following:

- Verify that the checksums and GPG files

- Verify that the source distributions do not contain any binaries

- Build binary and image from release source

- Verify the NOTICE and licenses in source release and the docker image

- Verify the helm chart values with correct appVersion and image tag

- Operator functionality manual testing

    - Start a Flink Application job(both streaming and batch) with 1.15

    - Verify the FlinkUI could be accessed via ingress

    - No strange operator logs

Best,

Yang

Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org> 于2022年7月24日周日 08:02写道: