Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Bill Boland <bo...@mediaone.net> on 2001/11/02 16:21:06 UTC

PROPOSAL: Struts Service interface?

Hello all.

I'm just getting to know Struts so please bear with me. I'm at this
dangerous point where I think I understand it and yet there's so much to
read and learn that it's gonna take me a while to feel confident. It's
nice to see a very active user and developer mailing list. Ted.your web
site has so much stuff. Thanks.

It is hard to know where to begin.

As I have looks at Struts, the framework that is provided is very
powerful (kudos to you all). The sequence of operations embedded in the
ActionServlet.process() method are at the heart of the logic that makes
this powerful. I'm looking for a way to extend or plug in additional
dynamic services to that sequence of operations without subclassing and
rewriting that method. For example, there have been contributors
suggesting security and exception handling capabilities (very worthwhile
and valuable services) that seems to require changes to the
ActionServlet. It would be nice to register one or more services with
the ActionServlet that confirm to a service interface that invoke
appropriate methods at each service point in the "process". This may
allow more pluggable services (security, etc.) to an existing web
application. Even some of the existing process points could be
transformed into services (form service, response service) to allow
those concerns to be extended or replaced.

Obviously, the ActionServlet base class would have to be modified to
allow for dynamic service support. I guess I'm querying to see if anyone
has had similar thoughts or has already implemented this kind of
generalized service support in Struts or is planning it for a release.
I'm willing to give it a shot but I'd rather reuse any valuable insight
or work that this group has already mustered. Thanks.

Bill Boland
Bill.boland@enhansiv.com

Re: PROPOSAL: Struts Service interface?

Posted by Oleg V Alexeev <go...@penza.net>.
Hello Bill,

Take a look to the contrib directory in struts project. It contains
ServiceManager subproject. Half year ago I start to work under it,
prepare initial version and post it to the community. Last month I try
to refactor my old code, and improve core functions.

I am ready to listen all ideas about it.

--
Best regards,
 Oleg                            mailto:gonza@penza.net

Re: PROPOSAL: Struts Service interface?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Right now, some of these things are being addressed by two initiatives.
This is not to say these are the only possible solutions, simply what
people have already started. I personally think both solutions are quite
good, and any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

First, there is Oleg's service manager, which could be used to plug in
things like the Validator without loading another servlet or subclassing
ActionServlet. As Oleg mentioned, the current work is in the contrib
folder of the nightly build.

Second, there is Craig's workflow package. This could help with a number
of the multi-request sequencing (workflows) that people stuggle with
now. There is some background on this here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/proposal-workflow.html

The code repository is over in the Commons sandbox right now. I also
worked the workflow demo into the Struts-Simple application (which is no
longer that simple ;-).

http://husted.com/struts/resources/struts-simple.zip

Here, I think the next step is working on loading multiple Activities
into the Registyr.

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/