Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com> on 2005/02/21 19:31:33 UTC

Understanding SPF_FAIL

I get for almost every incoming message an SPF_FAIL with score 0.88,
although the domain may not have any SPF record or the relay is listed in
the SPF record. I upgraded to SA 3.0.2 just to see if that cures it, but
it's still the same. Am I missing something? Here's an excerpt from debug.
(real data cloaked)

debug: SPF: query for /1.1.1.1/domain.info: result: none, comment: SPF:
domain of sender domain.info does not designate mailers

> shouldn't SA bail out here and continue with non-SPF tests?

debug: registering glue method for check_for_spf_fail
(Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x8c5c370))
debug: SPF: checking EnvelopeFrom (helo=host.domain.info, ip=1.1.1.1,
envfrom=g)
debug: SPF: query for g/1.1.1.1/host.domain.info: result: fail,

> but the test does not fail, there is no SPF record!

 comment: Please see
http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=%81g&ip=1.1.1.1&receiver=n8

> %81g should be replaced by the real address, shouldn't it?

So, do I misunderstand SPF_FAIL (description says: SPF: sender does not
match SPF record (fail)) or is there something wrong? I can't believe this
could be a bug since it's been this way for a long time.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany