Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "joe.cohen.m@gmail.com" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/19 17:24:27 UTC

solr cloud shards and servers issue

Hi
I have the following scenario:
I have 1 collection across 10 servers. Num of shards: 10.
Each server has 2 solr instances running. replication is 2.

I want to move one of the instances to another server. meaning, kill the
solr process in server X and start a new solr process in server Y instead.
When I kill the solr process in server X, I can still see that instance in
the solr-cloud-graph (marked differently).
When I run the instance on server Y, it get attahced to another shard,
instead of getting into the shard that is now actually missing an instance.

1. Any way to tell solr/zookeeper  - "Forget about that instance"?
2. when running a new solr instance - any way to tell solr/zookeper - "add
this instance to shard X"?

thanks.

Re: solr cloud shards and servers issue

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Joe,

Can you remove it from the config and have it gone when you restart Solr?
Or restart Solr and unload as described on
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin ?

Otis

Posted by "joe.cohen.m@gmail.com" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tomás Fernández Löbbe <to...@gmail.com>.
Maybe it would be better if Solr checked the live nodes and not all the
existing nodes in zk. If a server dies and you need to start a new one, it
would go straight to the correct shard without one needing to specify it
manually. Of course, the problem could be if a server goes down for a
minute and then comes back up, maybe a new node was added to the shard in
the interim, but I still think it would be better this way.

Tomás

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.