Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by navaz <na...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/07 21:12:06 UTC

JAVA cannot execute binary file

Hi

I am following the hadoop document.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/05aurcp42asuktp/Chiu%20Hadoop%20Pig%20Install%20Instructions.docx
Installed JDK7.

VM:
====

hduser@base:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        13.04
Codename:       raring
hduser@base:~$

But I am getting the below error message.

hduser@base:~$ java -version
-su: /usr/bin/java: cannot execute binary file
hduser@base:~$

hduser@base:~$ /usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 320: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
cannot execute binary file
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
cannot execute binary file
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
Success
hduser@base:~$
hduser@base:~$

Could you please help me in this.

Thanks & Regrads
*Abdul Navaz*

RE: JAVA cannot execute binary file

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@huawei.com>.
Hi,

It really does not matter in OS whether any double slashes are there in the path or not. Always OS will normalize it.

Problem could be, your java installation might not be matching with the architecture of the machine.

Are you sure that /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/ is of same architecture (64/32 bit) as of machine...?

Regards,
Vinayakumar B

Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 14:40:14 -0800
From: hmai@hortonworks.com<ma...@hortonworks.com>
To: user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>
Seems like that you have a wrong JAVA_HOME. You can check whether the directory exists, or search around a little bit to find the right configuration with respect to your distribution.

~Haohui

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM, navaz <na...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hadoop env

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/

I followed the above steps.

hduser@base:~$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_45"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode, sharing)
hduser@base:~$

hduser@base:~$ which java
/usr/bin/java
hduser@base:~$

hduser@base:~$ /usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 320: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java: cannot execute binary file
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java: cannot execute binary file
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java: Success
hduser@base:~$

Still I am getting the error message. What can be done?

Thanks
Navaz

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM, German Florez-Larrahondo <ge...@samsung.com>> wrote:

This could be because you are trying to run the incorrect version of java for your platform

What do you see when you do the following

ubuntu@---:~$ file `which java`

/home/ubuntu/GERMAN/WORKLOADS/java/jdk1.7.0_25/bin//java: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, BuildID[sha1]=0x47f558a5fd950bfecb09a1c6d692967d949796d7, not stripped

________________________________

Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 14:40:14 -0800
From: hmai@hortonworks.com
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Seems like that you have a wrong JAVA_HOME. You can check whether the directory exists, or search around a little bit to find the right configuration with respect to your distribution.
~Haohui

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM, navaz <na...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hadoop env
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/

I followed the above steps.
hduser@base:~$ java -version

java version "1.7.0_45"Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode, sharing)

hduser@base:~$
hduser@base:~$ which java/usr/bin/javahduser@base:~$

hduser@base:~$ /usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 320: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java: cannot execute binary file

/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java: cannot execute binary file/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java: Success

hduser@base:~$
Still I am getting the error message. What can be done?

ThanksNavaz

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM, German Florez-Larrahondo <ge...@samsung.com> wrote:

This could be because you are trying to run the incorrect version of java for your platform

 What do you see when you do the following

ubuntu@---:~$ file `which java`

/home/ubuntu/GERMAN/WORKLOADS/java/jdk1.7.0_25/bin//java: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, BuildID[sha1]=0x47f558a5fd950bfecb09a1c6d692967d949796d7, not stripped

Distributor ID: UbuntuDescription:    Ubuntu 13.04Release:        13.04

--
Abdul Navaz
Masters in Network Communications
University of Houston
Houston, TX - 77204-4020Ph - 281-685-0388fabdulnavaz@uh.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICENOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.

RE: JAVA cannot execute binary file

Posted by Jiayu Ji <ji...@gmail.com>.
hduser@base:~$ */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 320: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
cannot execute binary file*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
cannot execute binary file*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
Success*

See the double slash between jdk.1.7.0 and bin. That was the issue.

you should

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0

without the slash.

Jiayu (James) Ji,

Cell: (312)823-7393

Re: JAVA cannot execute binary file

Posted by Jiayu Ji <ji...@gmail.com>.
hduser@base:~$ */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 320: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
cannot execute binary file*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
cannot execute binary file*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
Success*

See the double slash between jdk.1.7.0 and bin. That was the issue.

you should

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0

without the slash.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Haohui Mai <hm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Seems like that you have a wrong JAVA_HOME. You can check whether the
> directory exists, or search around a little bit to find the right
> configuration with respect to your distribution.
>
> ~Haohui
>

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM, navaz <na...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hadoop env
>>
>> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/
>>
>> I followed the above steps.
>>
>> hduser@base:~$ *java -version*
>> *java version "1.7.0_45"*
>> *Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)*
>> *Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode, sharing)*
>> hduser@base:~$
>>
>> hduser@base:~$ *which java*
>> */usr/bin/java*
>> hduser@base:~$
>>
>> hduser@base:~$ */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format*
>> */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 320: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
>> cannot execute binary file*
>> */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
>> cannot execute binary file*
>> */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
>> Success*
>> hduser@base:~$
>>
>> Still I am getting the error message. What can be done?
>>

>> Thanks
>> Navaz
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM, German Florez-Larrahondo <
>> german.fl@samsung.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This could be because you are trying to run the incorrect version of
>>> java for your platform
>>>

>>> What do you see when you do the following
>>>

>>> ubuntu@---:~$ file `which java`
>>>
>>> /home/ubuntu/GERMAN/WORKLOADS/java/jdk1.7.0_25/bin//java: ELF 64-bit LSB
>>> executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared
>>> libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9,
>>> BuildID[sha1]=0x47f558a5fd950bfecb09a1c6d692967d949796d7, not stripped

Jiayu (James) Ji,

Cell: (312)823-7393

Re: JAVA cannot execute binary file

Posted by Jiayu Ji <ji...@gmail.com>.
hduser@base:~$ */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 320: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
cannot execute binary file*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
cannot execute binary file*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
Success*

See the double slash between jdk.1.7.0 and bin. That was the issue.

you should

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0

without the slash.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Haohui Mai <hm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Seems like that you have a wrong JAVA_HOME. You can check whether the
> directory exists, or search around a little bit to find the right
> configuration with respect to your distribution.
>
> ~Haohui
>

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM, navaz <na...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hadoop env
>>
>> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/
>>
>> I followed the above steps.
>>
>> hduser@base:~$ *java -version*
>> *java version "1.7.0_45"*
>> *Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)*
>> *Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode, sharing)*
>> hduser@base:~$
>>
>> hduser@base:~$ *which java*
>> */usr/bin/java*
>> hduser@base:~$
>>
>> hduser@base:~$ */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format*
>> */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 320: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
>> cannot execute binary file*
>> */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
>> cannot execute binary file*
>> */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
>> Success*
>> hduser@base:~$
>>
>> Still I am getting the error message. What can be done?
>>

>> Thanks
>> Navaz
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM, German Florez-Larrahondo <
>> german.fl@samsung.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This could be because you are trying to run the incorrect version of
>>> java for your platform
>>>

>>> What do you see when you do the following
>>>

>>> ubuntu@---:~$ file `which java`
>>>
>>> /home/ubuntu/GERMAN/WORKLOADS/java/jdk1.7.0_25/bin//java: ELF 64-bit LSB
>>> executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared
>>> libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9,
>>> BuildID[sha1]=0x47f558a5fd950bfecb09a1c6d692967d949796d7, not stripped

Jiayu (James) Ji,

Cell: (312)823-7393

RE: JAVA cannot execute binary file

Posted by Jiayu Ji <ji...@gmail.com>.
hduser@base:~$ */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 320: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
cannot execute binary file*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
cannot execute binary file*
*/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
Success*

See the double slash between jdk.1.7.0 and bin. That was the issue.

you should

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0

without the slash.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Haohui Mai <hm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Seems like that you have a wrong JAVA_HOME. You can check whether the
> directory exists, or search around a little bit to find the right
> configuration with respect to your distribution.
>
> ~Haohui
>

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM, navaz <na...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hadoop env
>>
>> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0/
>>
>> I followed the above steps.
>>
>> hduser@base:~$ *java -version*
>> *java version "1.7.0_45"*
>> *Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)*
>> *Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode, sharing)*
>> hduser@base:~$
>>
>> hduser@base:~$ *which java*
>> */usr/bin/java*
>> hduser@base:~$
>>
>> hduser@base:~$ */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format*
>> */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 320: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
>> cannot execute binary file*
>> */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
>> cannot execute binary file*
>> */usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 390: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0//bin/java:
>> Success*
>> hduser@base:~$
>>
>> Still I am getting the error message. What can be done?
>>

>> Thanks
>> Navaz
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM, German Florez-Larrahondo <
>> german.fl@samsung.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This could be because you are trying to run the incorrect version of
>>> java for your platform
>>>

>>> What do you see when you do the following
>>>

>>> ubuntu@---:~$ file `which java`
>>>
>>> /home/ubuntu/GERMAN/WORKLOADS/java/jdk1.7.0_25/bin//java: ELF 64-bit LSB
>>> executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared
>>> libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9,
>>> BuildID[sha1]=0x47f558a5fd950bfecb09a1c6d692967d949796d7, not stripped

Jiayu (James) Ji,

Cell: (312)823-7393

Re: JAVA cannot execute binary file

Posted by Haohui Mai <hm...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: JAVA cannot execute binary file

Posted by Haohui Mai <hm...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: JAVA cannot execute binary file

Posted by Haohui Mai <hm...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: JAVA cannot execute binary file

Posted by Haohui Mai <hm...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: JAVA cannot execute binary file

Posted by navaz <na...@gmail.com>.
Hadoop env

Posted by navaz <na...@gmail.com>.
Hadoop env

Posted by navaz <na...@gmail.com>.
Hadoop env

Posted by navaz <na...@gmail.com>.
Hadoop env

Posted by Hardik Pandya <sm...@gmail.com>.
are you exporting java home in hadoop-env.sh

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle

Also, make sure your java installed correctly

To Install Java

Add following PPA and install the latest Oracle Java (JDK) 7 in Ubuntu

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

 sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install oracle-jdk7-installer

Check if your OS uses Java JDK 7
   1
 java -version

If installed correctly you will get following result

java version "1.7.0_17"
 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)

Posted by Hardik Pandya <sm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hardik Pandya <sm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hardik Pandya <sm...@gmail.com>.