Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/02/09 19:47:27 UTC

[IRC] Are you still hosting the irc logs?

Paul,

Dude I know you do it as a contribution but the irc logging daemon has
been off for ages and the logs are no longer available online for the
#directory-dev IRC channel.  People have posted to the mailing list
about this.  Really its cool if you don't want to do this anymore but
let us know on this list.  The project channel has some serious traffic
now and we're loosing important conversations.

If possible we can host the agent and the logs at Apache.  If you cannot
do this anymore could you give me the logs that are already at
sol-earth.  Also could you provide me with the scripts and means you
used to do this.  I just need a simple set of pointers so I can start
logging and hosting it.  Really we all appreciate your help but
sometimes the most important thing in OS is to let the community know
when you have to pass the ball to someone else.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: ApacheDS features & collaboration

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <er...@apache.org>.
Adison Wongkar wrote:
> Hi Alex, everyone,
>
> Endi and I want to join effort in this ApacheDS project. We are
> brainstorming in terms of the features we can contribute and collaborate.
>
> Features we think we can contribute:
> - Schema parser: we have a parser to read *.schema files, based on javacc.
> - Virtual directory/LDAP proxy
>
> Features we think we are interested to collaborate on:
> - SSL protocol
> - Trigger
> - Transaction
> - ACL (static/dynamic)
> - Implement RootDSE (meta information)
> - Extended operation (?)

This is great.  From the Kerberos/security perspective, things I'd like
to see/collaborate on, related to your list:

- Virtual directory

One potential (big) user would like to augment an existing LDAP
infrastructure with the ApacheDS for the Kerberos.  When I originally
wrote the Kerberos server, I backed it with OpenLDAP via SASL/GSSAPI so
that code is still available.  But, it would be way cleaner to implement
this not as a Kerberos store, but deeper in the back-end, possibly (as
you mentioned once) in the Interceptor service chain.  Either way, it is
virtual directory functionality.

- SSL protocol

Of course, with the crown jewels of a company in the ApacheDS, high QoP
is key.  And some companies will want SSL.  But, I'd like to see
SASL/GSSAPI for the LDAP protocol, specifically GSSAPI/Kerberos.  This
is more like how AD works and M$ makes it easy to do by adding servers
to domains with wizards and such.  Unfortunately, the setup and
configuration in the OSS world has not been that easy, so I think it is
rarely done to the point of people not knowing it is even possible.

-enrique

Re: [IRC] Are you still hosting the irc logs?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
> > The project channel has some serious traffic
>
>> now and we're loosing important conversations.
>

> Another reason to use mailing lists instead, and always report
> hand-crafted summaries to it in any case.

Absolutely! +1,000,000 to that Nicola.

Nicola is so right here.  We all have to be dilligent about this so
everyone in the community can participate.  Think of it this way, every
closed conversation may prevent input from someone who might have a
solution or recommendation that could make a big impact.  Think about
what the ratio of lurkers to committer there is to nascent projects.  If
we hit on a topic that interests them it gives them a way to enter this
community.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: [IRC] Are you still hosting the irc logs?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
 > The project channel has some serious traffic
> now and we're loosing important conversations.

Another reason to use mailing lists instead, and always report
hand-crafted summaries to it in any case.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [IRC] Are you still hosting the irc logs?

Posted by Brennan Stehling <of...@gmail.com>.
I could also log and host the files as well on my server.  I would
just need to use any existing scripts to capture the IRC feeds.

--
Brennan Stehling
 + http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/