Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk> on 2008/09/24 13:33:59 UTC

[C2.2] Why two sets of HTML serializers?

I've been examining the HTMLSerializer so that I can document it on Daisy.

Initially, I was confused about what config options could be used and
then it dawned on me that there are actually two different
implementations!  The default is to use:

  o.a.c.serialization.HTMLSerializer

but there is another one called:

  o.a.c.components.serializers.HTMLSerializer

I'm assuming that this second version is an attempt to move away from
depending on Xalan for outputting HTML.  I also note that it makes life
easier for users by implementing a 'doctype-default' config setting
which takes 'strict', 'loose', 'frameset' or 'compatible' as values.

I've perused the developer mail archive and the svn log but not found
anything about the background for this second implementation.  Could
someone just confirm that I'm on the right track.  Is the intention to
make the second implementation the default at some point?  What other
advantages does this new version have?

Regards,
David Legg

Re: [C2.2] Why two sets of HTML serializers?

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.
Good call Reinhard, thanks!

Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>> I've perused the developer mail archive and the svn log but not found
>> anything about the background for this second implementation.
>>

> See http://cocoon.markmail.org/message/z63kh2sx3u4spxo

No wonder I didn't find it... 2004 is ancient history ;-)

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.

See http://cocoon.markmail.org/message/z63kh2sx3u4spxo7